Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Cage door??? How?

urockstar

Cavy Slave
I'll be trying to make a closed cage as I have dogs.... I'm planning on setting the C&C cage up on my futon, opened up... I think the futon would be about the right size once it's opened up. It's like a full size bed. So anyway, I have dogs and the futon obviously isn't very high from the ground, so I need to have a top to the cage. But from looking at the grids all snapped together, I don't understand how to make a door to take them out. I guess I could just lift up the grid, but if I decide to make a second level this might be annoying, so how do I make a door to the cage?

Rocinante

Cavy Slave
The easiest way to create a door is to fasten one end of the grid(s) to the top of the cage with plastic zip ties. This creates a hinge for the door if you do not fasten it too tightly. The other end of the grid(s) can be secured with those black metal binder clips that are used to clip a stack of paper together. If the cage is long, you should design the door so that the grids are clipped in the middle of the cage and tied to each end. You could also use this method if you want a side door instead of a top door, and you want to stack a second level on the first.

(broken link removed)

urockstar

Cavy Slave
Unfortunately I can't really understand what you're talking about, but I'm sure I will once I have it all laid out in front of me.

Biscuit

Cavy Slave
Your best bet is to look at pictures of doors in the photo gallery. There is an entire door section I think. Then decide what idea works best for you.

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
How many grids wide is your cage? 2X...? If so, you can make a very easy lid out of wire closet shelving. You'll see pictures of it in the photo galleries, but basically, you have someone at the hardware store (Lowe's, Home Depot, etc) cut 2 lengths of shelving a couple inches longer than your cage, connect them along the long side with cable ties and set the whole thing on top of your cage. You'll have a long hinge down the middle. Make sure you use 16" depth shelving.

guineapigluver1

Cavy Slave
This helps me to, since we have some very curios(sp?) cats.

urockstar

Cavy Slave
This is my cage so far, I put the grids together tonight and I'm getting the coroplast tomorrow. It's 2x5.

I connected it with zip ties only, used 100 and have to get another pack for the top and to secure it a little better all around. I connected at the very top of all grids... if they were able to reach it, could pigs chew through the zip ties? The ones I used are pretty thick.

Shelving for the lid seems good but is there shelving that is 28" wide, 70" long?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.