Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Need help!

Char-x

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
I'm right in the middle of building my cage and I've just realised that when there is some pressure in one area there is a small gap over in the over side of the cage comes up underneth some panels. I have checked everything and cannot figure out what it is. I hope that after all this time and money something hasnt gone wrong. :sarcastic

JarBax

Cavy Slave
Are you using connectors and zip/cable ties?

Am I right in understanding that when you press on one side of the cage, the other side lifts up a bit? How big a gap is there? Is it between grid and grid, or grid and ground? The only thing I can think of at the moment is that if it's lifting off the ground, you may have missed out a connector at ground level. Or perhaps your connectors are differently angled (ie one with smooth side down, another side down. Or maybe they are not all 100% pushed together - sometimes one is not so easy to 'clip' in place, causing a bit more movement than desired, in which case, you need to go round them all one by one squeezing until your thumbs really hurt!

Hope that helps a bit!

Char-x

Cavy Slave
I'm using all cable ties for the floor level then connectors and cable ties on the second level. Yeah when I pushed slightly down on the top level on the left the bottom right moved up.

The problem has kind of sorted now as I've seeled one side down with duck tape and had a fiddle with cable ties etc. I cant believe how many I've got through I brought well over 300 today and run out already :O.
My thumbs and fingers are basically blistered , I'm so cautious of their cage beinng safe I've pulled with all my might on those ties and pushed on those connectors lolI think they are in ok.
Doing this has definatly stressed me out alot! lol

I'm getting confused about my ramp right now but I'll leave that till the morning!

Thanks for the reply it did help alot!

Char-x

Cavy Slave
Heres some pictures of how I have made the second level secure, and since putting the front lot on its become more sturdy too. Have I done this right?

Full view of what I have done so far for the first cage..well since this picture I have added more panels at the front of the second level.

pignewton

Cavy Slave
Wow, you really did use a lot of zip ties !! You can get by with less - I use them in each corner and in the middle squares where grids meet and my cage is plenty strong enough. It looks fantastic though - great job/

Char-x

Cavy Slave
Thanks I'm off at 12 to buy some more! lol Unfortunatly cant get into town again at poundland had a sale (3 packs of 75 cable ties for a pound) stupidly I didnt see an offer was on until I looked at the receipt so I should have got more!

newpiggiemommy

Cavy Slave
I am in the construction stage of my cage as well. Wow yours looks really nice. I like how big it is. I found that it is more stable if you do not use the plastic connectors and just tighten up the zip ties.

I also found a tool that pulls the zip ties tighter than I could get them by hand. You might be able to find one at the home improvement store. The base of my cage is strong enough that it didn't cave when my 9 year old sat on it. I was impressed!

Char-x

Cavy Slave
Thanks I'll keep an eye out for that. I've done all the connections now, apart from the ramp on the males cage which I will finish tomorrow. Corr two days straight from morn till night and still not done. They had better like it! lol

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.