Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Gizmo, Gadget and me!

• Thread starter scarymonster742
  • Start date

scarymonster742

Cavy Slave
Hello, all! I have adopted two sweet girl guinea pigs, just last night. The abyssinian is 8 weeks old and has been dubbed Gizmo. The smooth haired one is 6 weeks, and we have named her Gadget. I loved Gizmo's mohawk look, and I liked Gadget because I thought her coloring looked like a piece of candy corn! Both are black, tan and white. Gizmo is mostly dark tan with just a white nose, a black patch and a couple small light tan spots and Gadget is mostly white and tan with black on the sides of her head and a black patch on her rear.

When I got them home, my husband looked at Gizmo and immediately named her, saying she looked like the furry creature on Gremlins. The name Gadget just seemed to go with Gizmo.

They kind of chatter the same way Gizmo from Gremlins did, too!

I began research about two months ago, as I wanted another apartment friendly pet. We have a 5 year old cat, Jax and 9 hermit crabs. Anything other than Jax has to live in a closed habitat, per apartment regulations. It was between guinea pigs, a chinese water dragon, a russian tortoise, a rat and a bearded dragon. After all my research, I chose to get two girl piggies.

Before I adopted them, I built a C&C cage for them to come home to. It is 2x3 right now, as that was the biggest coroplast sheet I could fit in my car. I will upgrade them to a 2x5 in the summer, when they have grown some and I can get someone to haul a full sheet of coroplast for me.

They are on shredded newspaper and carefresh for the first bedding, but I have bought fleece to lay on top for when I change out the bedding. I am hoping to really love the fleece, as the idea of less waste really appeals to me.

I am feeding them timothy and alfalfa hay and pellets, along with fruits and veggies. They also have these dried gourd things to chew, if they feel like it, but right now they just drag it around the cage!

I got them the jumbo igloo, but it is too big for now, so I put an empty Kleenex box on its side inside the igloo and put a washcloth in the box for them to snuggle into. They seem to really enjoy the smaller space.

Here are some sweet pictures of my new babies!

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.