Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

my guinea cage

Kieley

Cavy Slave
my guinea pig cage is 'Living Worlds' it's a guinea pig resort, it seems nice and big for my baby guinea pig. What are your thought about me adding a second level? I think i can build one pretty safely.

alerz

Cavy Slave
Can you post pictures of your cage or dimensions? Take a look at the minimum cage requirements on the main page of guineapigcages.com and make sure your cage meets these requirements. Also, are you considering finding a friend for your lone guinea pig? He would be much happier with a cage mate!

Kieley

Cavy Slave
I think its meets the specs its about 2.2feet long 1.4feet wide and 1.3 feet high. I will get pics of it up tomorrow!

I seeing how things go with this pig first before I add someone. This is the first pet I every had like this and want to see how i get along with clearing and getting him set up!

Jennicat

Cavy Slave
If those are the correct specs, it doesn't meet the minimum requirements, I'm sad to say. A cage with the measurements you're describing is only 3.1 square feet, and the minimum is 7.5 square feet.

ferndalezoo

Cavy Slave
If you bought your cage at a pet store, with very very few exceptions (they may exist, but I've never seen one), you can be very sure it isn't big enough. 7.5 square feet is minimum for a single cavy, 10.5 is what is preferred for 2 (and bigger yet is even better). And unlike rats or other small animals, what matters is the ground level. Additional levels are great, and if they use them (one of my two boars does, the other doesn't), they are useful for allowing two cohabitating cavies to get away from one another and add more interest to their environment, but they don't count toward the minimum space requirements.

If you build a new cage from the storage cubes, though, what you can do is use your current cage AS the second level, or as a quarantine cage for any new buddies you get for your current piggy.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.