Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

How sturdy is a C&C cage?

Butterscotch2

Cavy Slave
I am planning on getting a C&C cage, but I would want all the information before I get on. I have found out about chewing the cloroplast and cubes, but now I need to know how sturdy the cage is. The cage Butterscotch is currently in has a plastic bottom and a wire top. Alot of times, she likes to stand on her hind legs and hang on to the wire. Well, if the cubes weren't attached to the cloroplast wouldn't she just tip the cubes over on their side? Are there any ways to prevent to cubes for tipping?

pigsforlife

Cavy Slave
The corflute base sits inside the cubes, so all she would be able to do would be to put her 2 front feet on the edge of the corflute. C&C cages are extremely sturdy, mine has been made sturdy enough to keep 4 curious pigs in and 2 bouncy pups out.

pamziaw

Cavy Slave
I highly doubt a pig could pull the cubes over, they are attached to the other cubes on either side and braced against the coroplast. I found when i had an upper deck that because it was all clipped together in a cube like formation it was so solid i had trouble breaking it apart!

Ianthe

Cavy Slave
When I just used the connectors, I'd pull on a corner or side of the cage to move it and it would start to come apart (piggies wouldn't have been able to do that though). I like using just zip ties and no connectors at all, there is NO WAY it is ever coming apart.

TX_2_Pigs

Cavy Slave
If you look at my thread, How I built my cage, a pictorial., you will see how sturdy they are. I used only zip ties and I have a 45 pound brick in the cage. I do use a full bottom with my cage but even without the full bottom they won't tip it over. I just use the grids zip tied together for the floor pen, and they have never tipped it over either.

Butterscotch2

Cavy Slave
Thanks guys. Now I am totally sure that a C&C cage is all safe for my Butterscotch and hopefully, soon to be, other guinea pig!

ferndalezoo

Cavy Slave
We chose to put an actual floor in our C&C cage, rather than building just walls out of the cubes. I cable-tied the whole thing together, rather than using the connectors. This thing is so sturdy it's basically fort knox.

Biscuit

Cavy Slave
I do have to say the standing on the hind legs and holding onto the wire sounds really cute!

Butterscotch2

Cavy Slave
Yeah, I know I love seeing her do it. She does it when I come in the room or she wants food because I am late.

urockstar

Cavy Slave
When I just used the connectors, I'd pull on a corner or side of the cage to move it and it would start to come apart (piggies wouldn't have been able to do that though). I like using just zip ties and no connectors at all, there is NO WAY it is ever coming apart.

I also used only zip ties, no connectors, and it seems really sturdy except for the roof. I used SO many zip ties, but I also have a long fairly heavy metal shelving for the top door, and it's kind of bending down the roof of the cage. I don't see it coming down ever, but the fact that it's sloping a tiny bit kind of worries me. But tons of zip ties.

TX_2_Pigs

Cavy Slave
but the fact that it's sloping a tiny bit kind of worries me.

Try to find a way to add some support under where it sags. Maybe a grid or just a piece of a broomstick or wooden dowel. I now have two 45 pound bricks in my cage and it doesn't sag at all because I have extra grids supporting the area where the bricks are.

QuackXP

Cavy Slave
Mine has a 1 cube base underneath it for storange and it also makes it more rigid. I cable tied every joint, it was a tedious process, bit it's very solid. The whole cage can be picked up and carried easiy without any worry of any breaks. Downside is if I ever took it apart it would be a major pain to cut all those ties and put it back together again.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.