Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Ratties Possibly Pregnant Rattie

casicassie

Cavy Slave
I mentioned in my intro. that I have two rats...a boy and a girl. I know that you have all heard it before...the pet store missexed them. I have plenty of experience with rats. These will make my 11th and 12th rats over my life time. What I am new to, however, is a possible pregnancy. *Please hear me out...I am NOT intentionally breeding these two!!*
I just need a little bit of help with this. If you have any links at all that show the signs of a rat pregnancy or that could help me out with this...I would be really grateful!

Thanks a lot!

wickedrodent

Cavy Slave
:)

First off: How long have you had them/How long have they been housed together? Since she was from a petstore, its possible that she was pregnant even before you bought her.

Here is a guide: Breeding Guide: Determining Pregnancy

This is a great rat forum: (broken link removed)

The best recommendation I have is to move her into a 20 gallon + Aquarium. No levels. If/when she does have the babies, you need it to be baby proofed and safe so she doesn't give birth on a top level and they fall out. It will also protect her from getting pregnant again after she does have the babies.

casicassie

Cavy Slave
Okay, I have had them together for about 3 weeks now. I noticed that Luna started getting bigger about 2 weeks ago. I will check out the links...thanks!

wickedrodent

Cavy Slave
She should be ready to pop any day, since they stay pregnant 21-28 days. I would DEFINATLY seperate as soon as possible. Tonight, if you have somewhere to put her.

Also, here is some information on Spaying- Rat & Mouse Gazette: To Spay or Not to Spay

I would recommend it as long as you are 100% positive you have a good exotics vet.

Rattie Mom

Cavy Slave
I think I'm coming in late here and I'm guessing your little one might have already had her babies. Gestation for rats is 21-23 days. Any longer than that, and they need to get to the vet asap. Because the female can get pregnant again almost immediately, the male needs to be separated if he hasn't already. I have two girls that came from a similar situation. Mom and Dad were bought as a same sex sibling pair. By the time the family got the rattie family into rescue, Mom was nursing 14 babies, with another litter on the way.

Here is an extremely helpful link on how to help/raise baby ratties. This will give you all the info you need from preparing a "maternity cage" to weaning the babies.

(broken link removed)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.