Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

where to put veggies

MelAnnDoll

Cavy Slave
I have two news male piggies (my first ones!) and they like to chase each other a lot (assuming this is normal?) and they always run through their veggie plates and scatter them all around. They will do it right when I put them in there! I was just wondering if anyone has any ideas for where or what to put the veggies in to keep this from happening? They are in a covered 2x4 C&C cage.

naturegal592

Cavy Slave
At my house once the veggies are in the cage they can do what they want with them. I put them in a pile in middle of the cage floor, I tried a plate but they pull them off anyways. You could try 2 bowls spaced apart, one for each pig. Good luck.

chexxy

Cavy Slave
You could try bowls, like feed bowls.

DaCourt

Cavy Slave
We have a long 1x5 loft and the food goes up there...veggies and pellets. There is another 1x2 loft that is nothing but hay. That way, the entire downstairs is all playing room.

socal805

Cavy Slave
I pile them on the cage floor, usually on a paper towel and they run through the veggies and drag the paper towel around. After they finish the veggie party I take out the paper towel and you would never know there had been veggies in there!

CavyHubby

Cavy Slave
I have two news male piggies (my first ones!) and they like to chase each other a lot (assuming this is normal?) and they always run through their veggie plates and scatter them all around. They will do it right when I put them in there! I was just wondering if anyone has any ideas for where or what to put the veggies in to keep this from happening? They are in a covered 2x4 C&C cage.

I put the veggies in a regular food bowl. You also may want to look at the amount of veggies you are providing your piggies. I know that my veggie bowl lasts no longer than 30 minutes. The chasing around should cease with more floor time and one establishing dominance, just keep an eye to make sure no blood is being drawn.

Safe Journies
Samuel

ferndalezoo

Cavy Slave
We use regular food bowls for the veggies. One upstairs (for Oswald, as Phil doesn't tend to use the upper level, which helps ensure that Os actually gets his share), and one downstairs (for Phil). Phil tucks into his straight away, and it's gone in 15 minutes or less. Os runs through his, flips the dish, tosses the veggies around, and then finally settles down to eat. His might last an hour. After the veggies are gone (or in Os's case, dumped) I take the bowls out of the cage, which leaves only the pellet dishes (one up and one down), and the hayracks (again, one up and one down).

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.