Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hamster Cage

deathnotronic

Cavy Slave
Ugh, I am in a pickle. I've been re-doing my guinea pig's cages for so long I forgot about my hamsters home! He lives in a 20 gallon aquarium and I think he needs a new place. I went to a thrift store and found a Fischer Price 3 story castle and I bet he'd love it!

The problem is, how do I build a cage around it to keep him from escaping. I don't know where to find the wire mesh grids and the one place I did find (Wal-Mart) doesn't have them in stock. I'm very impatient and don't want to order them online and wait a week.

I have one of those piggy playpens I could use and an old wire pet store cage (just the wire part, not the bottom) I could use as well, but I don't know how I can combine them and make them look decent...and escape proof. :)

Jenni_Feathers

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I would reccomend a bin cage. They are awesome, cheap and can be huge! I got my hammy one that takes up a whole coffee table for $9.00, its like 15" by 36" and I added another bin to the top of it. They are also very escape proof and if you are worried about ventaltion you can always add vents to the sides. Here is a picture of my hamsters bin cage, it only cost $9.00 at Walmart.

PhoenixFeather

Cavy Slave
Wow, is that really escape-proof? I'd be pretty nervous about an open-topped cage like that for hamsters or mice.

We have our (dwarf) hamster and mice in tall, multi-level (perish the thought) pet store cages. For the mice especially, they really seem to enjoy the extra "virtual" space of having the walls to climb, and the 5 different levels to visit. They seem to enjoy this cage better than a previous cage with more floor space but less height. The hamster doesn't climb as much. He mostly likes to run on his wheel. But he doesn't take advantage of lots of floor space when we give him "floor time" either, so I'm not convinced that a huge "footprint" is important for hamsters and mice. The one mouse cage calculator I found went by volume and not footprint, but I've never found cage guidelines for hamsters.

Jenni_Feathers

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Well, mine isnt really escape proff, my hammy has never escaped but I bet some could if they tryed hard enough, but they can be made escape proof. These links explain bin cages better and tell how to make them escape proof or with lids and vents.
(broken link removed)

XXXXXXXXXXX

XXXXXXXXXXX

(broken link removed)

Mine isnt really a true bin cage with the vents and lid but its a cage that is a bin ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.