Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Help me find this cage post

LadyBelle

Cavy Slave
Last week I believe it was, I saw a post that had a cage I absolutely fell in love with and wanted to copy some of the design. Of course when I went to start making plans for my own build, I can not find the post or pictures of the cage anywhere. If anyone recognizes the cage as their own, or can remember where it post is, could you give me a link so I can look at it again?

The post itself contained multiple pictures that showed step by step construction of the cage.

The cage was an L shape. I believe the dimensions were 2x3 on one side and 2x2 on the other leg.

The bottom of the cage was made from cubes, then the chloroplast was laid inside the cage. Also a base was made from cubes that the cage sat on. There was a comment about supporting the bottom of the cage, especially where a large brick sat.

The cage was placed in front of a sliding patio door, at least for the pictures.

It was a single level, open cage that used fleece as bedding.

If anyone remembers this post or remembers whose cage this is, please let me know. Also for those who have L cages, how do you make your lid? I need to cat, dog, and child proof the cage, so a secure lid is a must. If I use utility shelving, how can I get it to fit the L shape? If I use cubes to make the lid, how can I support them without decreasing the overall square footage for running?

LadyBelle

Cavy Slave
That is the one, thank you. Bigger then I remember, but I still like the idea, just may do it on smaller scale for my needs.

Does anyone have an idea on how to do a lid for this? I would prefer to have a lid that I can lift completely up for ease of cleaning. Even if both sections have separate lids I can raise to clean each side. The problem is how to cover the corner part.

TX_2_Pigs

Cavy Slave
That was my post.

The easiest way I would say to make a lid would be to make 2 2x4 panels.

Attach the "green" panel first with zip ties where indicated by the blue arrows.
Next attach the "red" panel where indicated by the blue arrows.
Don't zip tie the "red" panel where it overlaps the "green" panel. (I should have put the arrows for the zip ties on the "red" panel in a different color.) You want to be able to lift the "red" panel, then the "green" panel. I would put a closure of some sort, a ribbon, carabeener, lock, or some other kind of clip where the pink arrow is. You could put one in each of the front corners if you want.

If you still need help, let me know.

Last edited:

LadyBelle

Cavy Slave
That looks really easy actually. I was picturing trying to weld or soldering utility shelving. I have a feeling I should of ordered a lot more grids then I did, but I'll see how far they go once I start to build. The locks on the corners sound like a good idea. My dog can undue leashes, carabeeners, those screw closure links, and so forth. A padlock and key is the only thing she hasn't figured out so far.

Thank you for the advice on lid, and the great ideas on building the cage itself. The under area looks great for storage, or to put more toys for floor time.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.