Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • If you need a specific country prefix that isn't listed, please contact the staff.

Australia ACS Latest Rescue Mission

enchantingcavy

Cavy Slave
Hi Guys,

I havn't posted in a while and this probably isn't the best post to start posting here with again but it only happened 24-48 hrs ago...one of many missions in the past year although this one was just beyond words...
Some members here would already know about this...

This week myself and a couple of other volunteers had been arranging an undercover inspection after a member of the public reported guinea pigs that may need inspecting at a farm open to the public around an hour and a bit away. Well we now have 17 guinea pig surrenders due to yesterday ( three were a separate private surrender on the way back )...it was long and exhausting and I didn't even get to pick up a couple of other surrenders from our gold coast shelter I was supposed to take on because we were full up on the way back...

Before making a report to the RSPCA we wanted to inspect in person to make sure the case was genuine. I did make a report yesterday to the RSPCA while at the farm after finding it was a cruelty case and then mentioned I'd send through some photos and a video so that they could see exactly how the animals were being kept which I've now done. Upon inspection we realised this was a free admission animal farm where members of the public could walk in and out of. None of the area was supervised their were no animal attendents or supervision of the area. none of the animals ( not even the farm animals ) were in secure enclosures and each side of the property were roads and no secure fencing. We were at the farm for around an hour and a half speaking with the manager who said that animals particularly the guinea pigs were frequently stolen and she didn't seem to care that this was occurring. We also discussed the breeding of the guinea pigs and she was actually happy that they would be breeding constantly since they got stolen so much. She also believed that how the animals were being kept was appropriate and wouldn't budge from this conclusion. Regarding the guinea pigs their were 14 all up and they were found in the following conditions:

1 - no food - some water although due to the enclosures being in direct sun the water was extremely hot.
2 - in direct sun on an almost 40 degree day
3 - rusted old cages raised on thick wire bases which were also very hot from the sun
4 - no protection from the elements
5 - all the guinea pigs involved were dehydrated, some suffering from mange mite infestation, filthy and covered in mud, and crammed into a tiny wet and humid wooden box trying to hide from the heat.

We believe that some of the guinea pigs involved would have passed on from dehydration had we not visited yesterday. Some of the guinea pigs had only been brought in several days ago and they were already sitting in filth in a second separate enclosure and would have been in similar conditions as the others had they remained on the property any longer. After speaking with the owner for quite sometime we managed to convince them to hand over all the guinea pigs. I spoke with the manager by myself towards the end and offered assistance in the future with helping them with their small animals ( as a desperate plea to try to have them all handed over ) she was happy to hand over all the guinea pigs to ACS and was happy to keep in touch to discuss appropriate care for the small animals and how to improve enclosures so that they are secure, safe and appropriate for the animals although I'm not sure if this was genuine going on how she felt they should be presented and cared for initially and I only offered the assistance because it was the only way left they were going to let us take all the guinea pigs. Apparently the guinea pigs were in the past kept in another enclosure with the other farm animals although upon the manager showing me the enclosure they were previously kept in I realised it was just as filthy, again not secure and had layers of muddy dirt they would have been running around on the base and amongst other animal faeces. The farm is struggling financially and the animals are clearly being used as a people attraction the manager herself told us this and the care of the animals is not in the owners best interest.

Their was also a bird which was located beside the guinea pig enclosures. The bird also had no food and was sitting in an orange container. The bird is still on the property.

When I got home the guinea pigs just stunk and were scratching so much I couldn't go to sleep without getting them cleaned up and into cages. Anyhow they all had revolution applied, had a fungal wash and mite wash the water was absolutely filthy I could only bath a couple of guinea pigs in each tub before the water went dark brown. The pigs are so skinny and small and a lot had matts in their coats. They're now separated and in enclosures. All up their are 8 girls and 6 boys. Then we had another private surrender to pick up on the way home and they are three massive boys all brothers. Umm one of the boys has impaction aswell.

Videos

(broken link removed)

(broken link removed)

(broken link removed)

So that was the most recent rescue...now the disturbing part about it all is that I was told by the manager that the RSPCA had actually already been out this week and I can't believe that nothing had been done about the animals...unless this was supposed to be some sort of improvement and it was worse before:eye-poppi

Photos!

enchantingcavy

Cavy Slave
the old enclosure and the current one for the other farm animals...

enchantingcavy

Cavy Slave
just arrived back at the shelter...yuh three small carriers...wasn't expecting to be bringing back so many piggies...

piggly wiggly

Cavy Slave
Aww, poor little things. I am glad you were able to take them all. That poor bird, I hope someone is able to rescue him. Is the local animal control going to take all of the farm animals from these horrid people?

JeevesIsMyPig

Cavy Slave
Are these up for adoption
The whitish greyisy one with the longish fur is sooo cute :)
If they are where is the closest ACS centre to Parramatta, Sydney :)

enchantingcavy

Cavy Slave
hi their,

feel free to check out the ACS Website for further info about the local shelters to you. All ACS shelters are able to transport adoptables interstate via plane if you're interested at all:)

(broken link removed)

regards
jess

QueenAbena

Cavy Slave
Oh these poor little things - you did so well rescuing all of these piggies. I hope that bird is okay though..

cavy-rescuer

Cavy Slave
I am from Australia and i am so glad that i came across your post and found a site in Australia. I am glad that you rescued the animals:)

DIGGYDI

Cavy Slave
Bravo!, I thank God for you and your organization.

staphjermz

Cavy Slave
Good job ACS. Its great there are people taking good care of the poor piggies.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.