Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • If you need a specific country prefix that isn't listed, please contact the staff.

Australia Help! 2 sister piggies under threat! Are you in SEQ?

P.Fry-BrisQLDAU

Cavy Slave
:weepy: I am in a heartbreaking situation. Are you the one who can help? I need to hear from you by the 5th of December (this Wednesday!!!). I am prepared to drive anywhere in South East Queensland.

The two beautiful girls are sisters. Their names are Ducky and Lucy.

They're happy and healthy and live the cavy cages way - with a large indoor coroflute environment and an outdoor environment for grass time. They squeak in reply with excitement when we squeak to them, and they run to the front to eat treats out of our hands. They're also cool with lap-time while you watch telly.

I live in a rental property that doesn't allow pets. I adopted them in 2005 and have hidden them and cared for them ever since.

Today we were given a notice from the landlord. They've found out we have the girls and they're threatening to evict us. We cant afford move, but I cant bear the thought of the girls being in an unsafe or unloving home.

So I've turned to you on this forum. I've learned everything I know about correct care for guinea pigs from you so I trust your members more than anyone else out there!

If you have a stable adult home with room in your heart for Ducky and Lucy I'd be prepared to take time off work to travel to you. Please, PLEASE call me urgently on 0405 113 701!!

Last edited:

P.Fry-BrisQLDAU

Cavy Slave
0405 113 701

kathrynj

Cavy Slave
Contact the Australian Cavy Sanctuary. (broken link removed)

P.Fry-BrisQLDAU

Cavy Slave
Thanks Kathryn, I'll use them as a last resort. Thanks for letting me know about them! I'm thinking about making a donation to them in any case however - they look like they give awesome care so I'm going to go check them out and take some veggies to them tomorrow.

They're my responsibility and I'll not rest until I know they're going to find a decent long-term home.
P.

Contact the Australian Cavy Sanctuary. (broken link removed)

Aertyn

Cavy Gazer
ACS also has a forum ((broken link removed)) you might have more luck finding someone to take your pigs (even temporarily) there.

linda_chicha

Cavy Slave
Just so you know, ACS screened all the potential adopter really well.

pigsforlife

Cavy Slave
Go through ACS. ACS make sure that all of the pigs that come in are healthy, and if they are not they get treated appropriatley. They are kept fantastically, and when ready put up for adoption. They have a fantastic screening program as well.

If you want the best for your girls, go through ACS.

P.Fry-BrisQLDAU

Cavy Slave
Thanks folks. I spoke with Jessica from ACS today. Despite their hard youth (before I adopted them from the RSPCA in 2005) my girls are pretty healthy, if a little on the tubby side... but it's so hard to refuse extra veggie/melon treats when faced with such sweet little eyes! :eek:)

We're still deciding what to do. My other half and I don't want to part with the girls for life. They're part of the family. We're considering new home options but also considering paying for boarding at ACS until the lease ends and we can move to guinea friendly house. I know they have limited space so it's such a hard decision.

Many of my friends have offered to foster Ducky and Lucy until we can move - but they aren't experienced in guineapigcages.com style care so that's out of the question.

This is sooo stressful!

P.Fry-BrisQLDAU

Cavy Slave
This is beautiful Ducky during grass time...

TX_2_Pigs

Cavy Slave
Many of my friends have offered to foster Ducky and Lucy until we can move - but they aren't experienced in guineapigcages.com style care so that's out of the question. This is sooo stressful!

Pick someone who is physically close to you and teach them. If they are close enough you can come over frequently and make sure they are being cared for properly. If you are still covering all of their expenses, someone fostering for you shouldn't have a problem with that.

P.Fry-BrisQLDAU

Cavy Slave
I live in West End (in the inner suburbs of South Brisbane). Hmm... this is comforting advice TX_2_Pigs. I'll think on it. Thank you!

P.Fry-BrisQLDAU

Cavy Slave
I'm very happy now because my neighbour (over the back) said I could keep them in her yard!

We're getting a two level outdoor hutch (they're going to HAVE to learn to use a ramp!) that is 1.2m x 60cm. The indoor C&C enclosure they're in now is 1.6m long x 75cm wide. The new one will be smaller than I'd like but a larger floor area given the two levels, and very cat and dog proof. With a chain and padlock it'll be local-kid proof too.

I'll be getting some exercise jumping the fence to care for them! They'll stil get their greenbag full of grass in the morning after I pick it up on my daily walk and I can spoil them rotten with treats and grass time. My neighbour refuses to take payment for the 'rental' of her yard and instead gave me some pot plants as well! :eek:) What a sweetheart!

I'd still prefer to have an indoor hutch. :-( but that aside...

https://cgi.ebay.com.au/LUXURY-RAISED-GUINEA-PIG-RABBIT-HUTCH-W-RUN-LAR...sting

That's a photo link to a similar type of design. I'll be putting coroflute in the bottoms. I think it also needs the roof extended out for better weather protection and some extra insulation. Hmmm...

So much relief.

Thanks for your support.

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
Admittedly, I don't know a whole heck of a lot about weather patterns in Australia, but doesn't it get rather warm in the summer? And it's fine that the hutch is cat, dog, and kid proof, but what about rain, bugs, possibly snakes, wind? Also, you can't FORCE a guinea pig to use a ramp or go upstairs which is why levels above the first floor don't count towards the square footage of the cage.

If this is your absolutely only option, I suppose it would work, but I would continue to look for other options, including having ACS take on the pigs. Your current cage is almost 13 sq ft, and the replacement is right at 7 sq ft. That's quite a difference in size. I don't suppose your neighbor woudl consider finding a place indoors for your current cage? Keeping them outdoors in a cage that is too small really isn't good for them.

Last edited:

pigsforlife

Cavy Slave
It does get rather hot in summer PM, with tempratures ranging between the high 20s to the early 40s (celcius).

I personally have an outdoor cage in which the girls go when the tempratures are suitable (between 20 and 30 degrees celcius), although I also have an indoor cage which is where the girls live at night time and when the tempratures are not suitable.

Their outdoor cage is very much predator proof, and is placed where I can see it at all times.

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
From the sound of things in this situation, an indoor cage is not going to be happening at all. I hope that I'm wrong.

P.Fry-BrisQLDAU

Cavy Slave
I would never have dreamed of having them outdoors before I visited ACS. I was able to see how to insulate the cage etc to make sure it's safe from weather and predators (also, it's going under a mango tree for some extra heat shelter).

Obviously I'm not going to "force" them to use the ramp, but I've been assured by others they will learn to out of curiosity (helps if there are yummy food smells coming from the other level).

This isn't the end of the story. I'll be keeping an eye on them. If they're not happy with their home I'll buy them a different one. If they show signs of stress I'll take measures to address it. Worst case scenario - if it isn't working out then I'll have to (cautiously) find them a new mum.

With respect to outdoor housing, I don't care if it costs me $700 for a custom cage that doubles as a small cottage! Nothing is too good for my girls. We've also agreed to move as soon as the lease contract is up.

I am by no means happy with the arrangement and an indoor cage would be more appropriate for all the reasons you've mentioned - and more (I'll be soooo lonely without them being close to me).

They're certainly in a better position than they were in the muddy 30cm x 1m cage in the outdoors at the RSPCA (scheduled for death) that I adopted them from.

(P.S. I cant have them in my neighbour's house because it'd be impossible to have ready access to them to care for them.)

kathrynj

Cavy Slave
That hutch is going to cook them. I am in Bardon Brisbane, not far from you, and we are heading into our hottest humidest time of the year. Already it is so humid I find it hard to breathe out in the car. Standing still and I am sweating.

That hutch is so closed in, unless they are on the bottom level, they will end up with fungal infections for a start. As the top is so closed in, I am willing to bet they will sit there, as they are prey animals.

You can add frozen water bottles etc, but this will add to the humidity and increase the growth of fungal spores and infections.

P.Fry-BrisQLDAU

Cavy Slave
strewth KathrynJ.
What can I do to minimise the risk of fungal problems? How do you keep it insulated enough and ensure there is enough weather protection while keeping it well ventilated?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.