Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Vacuum Advice Please

valfl

Cavy Slave
I need to replace my hand held vacuum. I am looking for any input, feedback or advice any of you may have. I know many of you use it to do a daily spot clean of the cage. That is my plan as well.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks

Wheekie
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

Guinea_Piggin

Cavy Slave
(broken link removed)

This is what I have. A nice little bagless, rechargeable, hand vac that picks up poops very well. And the replacement filters (which come in a 2 pack) are only $5 near my house. The quick-flip tool on the front/top of the vac is excellent for picking up stuff in corners! If you don't/can't afford shipping, and have a Target near your house, they sell them there for $19...I got mine on sale for $15.

TX_2_Pigs

Cavy Slave
This is the one I use. Like someone else said, it is powerful enough to get the poop but not suck up the fleece. I usually use the crevice tool and it doesn't suck up the hay either. It will grab a piece of hay but then I pull it off and put it in the hay tray. It usually will get all the poos without having to empty it and I just use a little broom to brush the hair and small hay pieces off the filter. I think I paid $20 for it at Wal-Mart.

Biscuit

Cavy Slave
Don't get the Kone thing. It's horrible! It doesn't even suck up poop. The angles on it are impossible too.

Jenni_Feathers

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I use a ladle, dont laugh it works great. Its quiet dosent scare the piggys and it is easy to do several times a day.

Wheekie
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

camende

Cavy Slave
I have bought 2 hand held vacumns in the last couple months. First, I have to say that my regular vacumn and the shop vac both clog. It's frustrating.

I bought a small hand held dyson but it doesn't work well plus it was really expensive.

The best success I have had is a Eureka Bagless Upright Vacumn. This this works really well. You can convert it easily from an upright to a handheld. It sucks the poops up. It will suck the smaller pieces of hay up as well. Now, I have a LARGE 50 square foot cage so I usually have to empty it a couple of times to get the whole cage...However, emptying it is really easy...It's bagless so you just open it up, pour out the poops and pop it back together and you are good to go again.

I bought it at Sears and I think it was on sale for under $20.

Here is the link to it:
Eureka Bagless Upright Vacuum, Sunflower Yellow - Model 166DX at Sears.com

wheekypigs

Cavy Slave
I picked up this Black and Decker 7.2 volts CHV7250 at Bed Bath and Beyond: it was going for $14.99, but with a $5 coupon, I got it for $10. It's a wet and dry vacuum, so sometimes I just also run it over the peepees the piggies leave on floortime. I keep it charged and it lasts long enough for me to get both the cage and the room cleaned up. (broken link removed)

longboardskier

Cavy Slave
We have a 2gallon Craftsman from Sears that works really well. You just have to make sure you keep the filter clean otherwise it loses suction.

LadyBelle

Cavy Slave
Just out of curiosity, what do all of you do with the piggies when you are vacuuming? Do you leave them in the cage and vacuum around them, or do you take advantage of floor time and they are out of the way?

I want to figure out the best way to do vacuuming without traumatizing my little guy.

longboardskier

Cavy Slave
I leave mine in the cage most of the time. They don't seem to mind at all. In fact, I sometimes have to get Sweatpea out of the way because she keeps trying to run up and sniff it! I think she thinks it's a big veggie or something!

CavyGal6680

Cavy Slave
I have a Sears brand Ultra Big Shark, Turbo Hand Vac. It's 1.5 times the suction power of a regular full sized vacuum, but if you weigh/hold down the fleece, it doesn't suck it up. I dunno how much it was; I just found out we had one a few minutes ago! There is a part to it that you attach that even has a brush on it so that you can get it real clean. Anyone else have one of these? I have yet to really use it... just tried it out once.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.