Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bottom to my C&C cage

Ally has U's

Cavy Slave
I just finished off everything for my cage except a bottom. All I have down is a panel of fleece (it has the Mona Lisa on it).

If I were not to use cloroplast; what could I use for the bottom.

Fleece won't absorb well enough. Any ideas?

TX_2_Pigs

Cavy Slave
Well first off, fleece shouldn't absorb, it should wick, or soak through, to a layer that will absorb, like towels or mattress pads.

Secondly, if you don't have coroplast you can use any number of things. The most popular alternative choice in linoleum. However it is rather difficult to work with. For the next suggestion you would need to have the cage sitting directly on the table (or floor) without a grid floor. Just drape some plastic over the table or on the floor and put the grid walls on top. You can either use trash bags, or get that plastic from the paint department that painters use for a drop cloth. I have even found small rolls or sheets at the Dollar Tree down the street. You can even lay out your towels/mattress pads and fleece and then place the grids walls on top of that. The only problem with this solution is you have nothing to keep poos from falling out the sides.

You can even use a vinyl backed table cloth, or a vinyl table cloth or one of those cheap plastic picnic table cloths. Anything you can find that will not allow water through can be used.

Put down your waterproof layer, your absorbent layer and your fleece layer.

Hope this helps.

PhoenixFeather

Cavy Slave
We use a dollar-store shower curtain under our "Travel" playpen/cage. We just use towels over that, but for a real cage, you'd want fleece over towels or (preferred) mattress pads.

Ally has U's

Cavy Slave
Thank you. I think I will try out the dollar store and see what they have that may work.

Does anyone have any ideas for a ladder?

TX_2_Pigs

Cavy Slave
You can also get these at the dollar store. They usually come 3 (sometimes 4) to a bundle. Just cut the ends off, zip tie together and put a piece of fleece covered coroplast along the bottom (attached with zip ties.)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.