Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Book recommended cage sizes...

KellyMichelle

Cavy Slave
I found some old guinea pig books, and i was just wondering what they considered as a good cage size...what's sad and makes me feel bad for my first guinea pig, because i assumed that the books knew what was best...
here's what i found:

"before you go to buy a guinea pig, you will need to get a hutch. a wooden rabbit hutch would be best."
but in the picture, the hutch is only twice as long as the guinea pig :(

"Each cavy should have at least two square feet or room to run in, the more space, the better."
In this picture he's in an aquarium...now i know i've heard that this isn't healthy!

In the third book, I think it might be the closest to the current standards. It requires something 20" high, 24 inches wide, and 48" long. If you have a 2x3 grid cage, at 14" a grid, the it would be 28" x 42", and 14" high.

I understand that people who write these books had the best of intentions, but how lucky are guinea pigs that now people are becoming informed! I just wanted to point this out, because if people read the books and go out and get, or build a cage, to these measurments, they have no idea that it could be much better! My question really is though, how do you get the word out to a wider spectrum of pet owners, so they know too? Because they aren't mean or bad owners, they just have the wrong sources.
Hmmm, someone should write their own book!
:) Kelly

Piglet

Cavy Slave
We should publsih a book! Its forums like these that spread the word. I think nowerdays more people tend to look on the internet for information, and since the internet can be updated so easily (unlike books), good information is usually given out

Treen

Cavy Slave
The information in books can be awful - with regard to cage sizes I've read a couple that say you shouldn't give them more than a couple of square feet, as the wide open space generated by a larger cage will cause them to panic. Hello?!

tashagurl

Cavy Slave
The book I have says "A cage for a guinea pig must be at least 14 by 24 inches for one guinea pig "

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
That's the normal breeder standard. Unfortunately, most of those books have chapters on breeding and showing too.

Tasha, did you ever check out https://www.weecompanions.com/?

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
Yuck! I just detest some of the info out there. Some books are sponsored by labs, pet stores, etc. who don't want the info to get out that their products aren't oh-so-lovely. That's pretty selfish in my opinion.

tashagurl

Cavy Slave
Yea, after I bred my pigs twice. My book does have info on breeding. I found this site right before my pig gave birth for the last time. By the time I found Wee Companions I had five pigs and my mom wont let me have anymore. If I ever get another one I will get it from a rescue place. I tried to convince my mom that I needed another, but no go.

It is selfish what they do

Has anyone ordred that book from guinea lynx? It looks great and my mom's said she would get me one for christmas.https://www.guinealynx.com/record_book.html

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
I'm glad you found this site then!

No, I haven't ordered it but it looks really cool!

kavykritter

Cavy Slave
that's so horrible and sad that they would build tiny cages because they thought the pigs would get scared of the "wide open space" i kow it was probably with the best of intentions, but that is still sad tha tthe pigs had to live in there for they're whole lives, probably

silkerlover

Cavy Slave
Has anyone ordred that book from guinea lynx? It looks great and my mom's said she would get me one for christmas.https://www.guinealynx.com/record_book.html[/QUOTE]
When I got my new guinea pig, the lady who owned the resue gave me one, only I think I accidentally left it at her house, which really stinks. I didn't get to read it, but it looked very informative!

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
Nope I haven't gotten one yet, but it looks great!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.