Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Lid supports needed in a 2x5 or 6?

Kerry

Cavy Slave
I'm in the planning stages for my cage still but I want to have everything worked out before I start if possible. I'm planning on making at least a 2x5 but hopefully a 2x6 (I'm almost positive that's what it'll end up being as it will fit in the space.) It'll be a covered cage as I have cats and a dog and it'll be in the rec. room/daycare room so lots of kids around. I'm going to use the wire shelving as a lid. Possibly cut in half so I don't have to open the entire length just to pop in their food or hay. Anyway my question is will I need a support somewhere to help support the lid and roof or do the connectors hold things up enough that it won't cave in if a cat hops up there? I'm hoping not to need a support as I think it'll make laying the fleece in there a bit trickier but I certainly don't want a cat landing on one of the girls! What do you pros think?

Malhablada

Cavy Slave
I used the grids to make my lids too. I use connectors and tons of cable ties all pulled very tight with pliars, and in my experience anything longer than three grids is going to need a support of some kind, so 2x4's and up.

A spare grid bent into a V-shape will work wonders for support, and you can stuff it with hay for your piggies so it's not just structural, it's functional. But you can also design in different ways so you don't need an in-cage support.

If you make a clamshell-designed lid, you can cable tie an extra grid in each corner of the lid, and they'll rest on the walls. If you tighten everything really well, that might hold. At least it works in one of my 4x2's. I'm not sure if a clamshell design would work in a longer cage than that, though.

The bent grids aren't that big of a pain when it comes time for cleaning. You can pop them right back out. If it's a non-stationary lid you're worried about, you probably won't need in-cage support at all because you'll have to stagger a grid over each end of the lid anyway to keep it from falling into the cage, and they'll rest on the walls and keep the lid up. Just tighten everything like crazy, because cable ties eventually stress, and everything will start to sag if you don't.

naturegal592

Cavy Slave
I use wire shelving for and lid and have a daycare and a dog that is always around the cage or on it. The lid is cut so it rests on the cage, the shelving I use also has a 1-2" lip on it that comes over the front of the cage. I attached all of the shelving with cable ties so it is hinged and I love it. The kids have tried to open it but I told them once and haven't had a problem since. I don't have any supports under the lid but my cage is a 2x3. If you cut the shelf in half so it opens in 2 spots you could always use metal clips like on a dog chain to lock them together and unlock them when you need to open one side. You might find that you don't need them though. Good luck.

Kerry

Cavy Slave
That's the type of shelving I was looking at getting. I'm hoping the kids will leave it alone but if not I'll be getting a combo lock to make sure! It's not the little ones I worry about as they're never unattended, it's the school-aged kids who are often down here alone while I prepare snack, etc.

I never thought of making removable supports! I like that idea! I knew I posted this question for a reason!

So glad I'm able to spoil my 2 girls with such a big cage. I really can't wait to get started! Thanks for your help!

k9yorkie

Cavy Slave
I have a 2x8 cage and use only one support. I use one extra grid right in the middle for support. I have also attached hay racks on each side of it so it's got a multiple uses. I can also pull it out anytime I need to. My cat sits on my cage all the time and I have never had any problems. I do use LOTS of zip ties on all the grids too.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.