Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • If you need a specific country prefix that isn't listed, please contact the staff.

Philippines i want guinea pig

sedilney

Cavy Slave
i love pets but unfortunately i dont even have one now because i dont know where can i buy a guinea pig or if it is affordable. If someone here need to rehome their guinea pig im willing to get them. I hope that one day a have a guinea pig in my house.

Tulia&Susie

Cavy Slave
Locale shelters may have guineapigs that are up for adoption. Also guineapigs are pretty pricey when it comes down to the feed, hay, caging, etc so make sure that is all in check. Try maybe a local shelter.

Astrantia

Cavy Slave
Hi there sedilney,

Where about in the Philippines are you located? I lived out there for 3 years, so I have a reasonable gage of the guinea pig situation out there. Unlike Europe and America you're unlikely to find rescue shelters for guinea pigs out there, as you'll probably know. There's a different attitute to animals out there than to elsewhere.

If you really would like a guinea pig, you can buy them from Bioresearch stores in S&M malls etc. You know where I mean?

HOWEVER, having had a guinea pig in the Philippines I suggest you give serious thought before getting one for the following reasons:

- Supplies are hard to come by and when you can get them they are more expensive than over here in Europe as they are often imported.
- You'll find rabbit pellets quite easily, but not guinea pig ones. Sometimes they are in stock, sometimes they are not. Same applies to woodshavings. I used rags instead, you know the mixed fabric off-cut ones from the market? Really cheap.
- As piggies need hay this is a bigger problem I came across. I couldn't get hay, only if the stores had it occasionally. I'd fed my piggy grasses from around my province area, BUT make SURE it is not from where any roaming dog (as there are many), nor turkey, chicken or other animal has urinated!
- One the good side there's plenty of pechay to feed your guinea pig! :)
- Buying cubes I found easier than in the UK. I went to my local ACE hardware store in Megamall. I got a pack of 4 cubes for P999, which as you'll know is rather expensive in Pesos!
- Coroplast, I couldn't find either, so I used lino, again from ACE hardware that was fairly cheap.

So there is a lot to over come if you are thinking of having a piggy in the Philippines, it's not cheap by local standards that's for sure. And I was often greeted with "Guinea pig? What's one of those?" When going to the local pet store looking for food.

Send me a PM if you'd like any help or advice.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

pawcrazy

Cavy Slave
I have 2 guinea pigs (one male, one female) for adoption. They are 450 & 500 gms. Not sure about age. Not the peruvian type. The normal type I bought (rescued) from SM mall 2 months ago. They had mites and I took them to the vet who has got them healthy after 2 doses of ivermectin. They are healthy now. Need to relocate to the US from Manila and can't take them with me. I have a C&C cage set up for them. I am getting a good supply of pellets and shampoo from the US as well. Please, please contact me if you are looking to adopt my loving guineas. [email protected]

Astrantia,
You are right. I wish someone had told me how difficult it would be to find supplies. I did adapt however. I go out grass cutting in the neighborhood every few days (and store it in a bag in the refrigerator to keep it fresh), give lettuce, carrots, cucumber and pray for wood shavings and pellet supplies. My husband is traveling to the US so am stocking up on essentials.
There are no rescue shelters in the Philippines but every one of these little ones needs to be rescued from most of the pet stores where they are piled in numbers on top of each other in small cages.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.