Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Local Hay

LadyBelle

Cavy Slave
At the local feed store, just a couple blocks from my house, I found bales of hay for $10 each. The store person stated they were a mix of Timothy Hay and "native grasses". They also contain no alfalfa. Would this be an ok hay to feed my piggy regularly, or should I worry about not knowing the exact mixture? I live in Wyoming if that is any help to the native grass.

If this is a good feed then I am really going to kick myself for buying 50 pounds from the Oxbow site when this way is so much cheaper.

Jenni_Feathers

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
From what it sounds, it seems like it is cow quality many times the best quality hays will not be a mix...have you seen the hay yourself to know what it looks like? Try asking them what other grasses are mixed in, if they know.

LadyBelle

Cavy Slave
I brought the bale home. I needed something right away. It is possible it is cow quality considering the feed stores around here cater mostly to ranchers. I asked if he knew what other grasses were in the hay and he wasn't sure.

chexxy

Cavy Slave
10 Dollars a bale? Thank goodness prices arent like that over here! I pay 3 - 4 dollars a bale for my goats.
The only thing I could see wrong with it is sometimes the pieces are big and pointy. I buy hay bales for like I said before my goats, and it might just be around me, but sometimes there are thorns, or weeds, so I would just be careful!

Jenni_Feathers

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I pay ushally $4.99 to $6.99 for a bale, but its problemly different prices in different areas.

kavykrazy

Cavy Slave
I pay $16.95 for an 85 lb. bale of orchard grass. All hay in my area is very expensive. As for if this hay will be good for the piggies, if it is mostly timothy, it is probably horse hay, so the quality would be better than cow hay. Just check through it for stickers and such.

ctinaw

Cavy Slave
It really depends where you are getting the hay. The price of hay has increased quite a bit in Iowa due to soy beans being so popular because of ethanol... so nobody wants to plant hay anymore and those who do can charge a ton for it.

alex_23

Cavy Slave
I don't buy hay by the bale...I buy from a gp rescue or from oxbow, but hay at my local feed is $50 for a 80?lb bale of timothy hay.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.