Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Newbie... whoopie

spokethewind

Cavy Slave
I found this after searching on how to correctly find out if my guinea pig is a boy or a girl. I found out tonight... kind of a little shocked at how to find out and I felt like I was attacking his lower area. Poor guy pooped on me. But he does that a lot to me.

Anyway, his name is Chewie, which is short for Chebacca. He's a long haired guinea pig w/ a tuft on the top of his head. Very interesting. I chose him even if he nipped me at the petstore (I know... sorry didn't know back then) b/c he was so soft compared to any other pig I'd seen. Found out a few months later that he was going to need constant grooming... and I wasn't too happy but we've gotten used to trimming mats.

We went to the vet a few weeks ago and he had lice. The vet said he could have had them this whole time. A whole year? I kind of doubt it. I was afraid he got them from the timothy hay I feed him... but that seems kind of silly. I dunno, I have to give him the 4 shots (1st was at the vet and he cried like a baby, earlier tonight he took it much better) and spray him w/ a really nice smelling spray.

He's a nibbler and I do tap his nose and say no... but only when he either gets my hand or my skin under my shirt (only 3 times in a year so not bad) Sometimes I let him have floortime but he generally ends up making a bathroom mess all over. Lately he squeaks whenever he hears me open a bag which is really exciting b/c we weren't close in the beginning.

I just wanted to say hello and I hope I learn lots of cool things to help us become more "friendly." Oh, and he's my avatar!

pigsforlife

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forums! Take note of the stickies located at the top of each forum as they hold invaluable information.

The nipping could be a sign of mites which are microscopic parasites that burrow underneath the skin and cause extreme pain. I recommend purchasing some Revolution or Ivermectin and treating your little boy. It wont hurt him if he does not have mites.

I would stop with the spray as well. Is this vet you are seeing a reputable exotic vet? Because (dont mean to offend you or your vet) he/she doesnt sound like one.

spokethewind

Cavy Slave
The shots I'm giving him are Ivermectin. The spray is Mycodex. I have no idea if he's well known in the area or not. But I have seen an improvement in the lice area, thankfully.

Last edited:

pigsforlife

Cavy Slave
Ah, ok. Do you know what ingredients are in the Mycotex?

spokethewind

Cavy Slave
pyrethrins .20%, piperonyl butoxide, technical* 2.00% (equal to 1.60% of butylcarbityl and 0.4% related compounds)

pigsmakemesmile

Cavy Slave
hello, hope you enjoy the forum, I've learned a lot since i've joined

crazywiggy

Cavy Slave
Hi and welcome to the forum. Hope Chewie gets well soon!

Please do not tap his nose when he bites you. All this will do is make him scared of you and more likely to bite! Violence - evn in the form of a light tap - is never the answer.

cookie_gal

Cavy Slave
Leave the spray out, pyrethrins are bad news.

Oh and welcome to the forum! Chewie looks a lovely piggy!

Susan9608

Cavy Slave
Welcome.

Pyrethrins are not appropriate treatment for guinea pigs. Please discontinue the spray and just use the Ivermectin. If the problem doesn't seem to resolve, then we can help you locate a cavy-savvy vet in your area who can advise you on further treatment.

One of the best things you could do for Chewie - after the lice is all cleared up - is to adopt a friend for him. I imagine he's quite bored and lonely.

And I agree with Crazywiggy - tapping the pig on the nose will not train your pig not to bite you; that action will only make him afraid of you.

If you keep him well groomed on a daily basis, you shouldn't have to be doing much cutting of matts.

Chewie looks like a cutie. We'd like to see more pictures of him.

MissCin

Cavy Slave
Hi and welcome to the forum.
You should let him have floor time everyday - not just sometimes.
My girls make a mess during floor time too, I don't mind cleaning after them.

I hope you like the forum! It's addictive. :)

Fluffy_Guinea

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum!

Like the others said please don't tap him on the nose it will make him scared of you. You should also get a buddy for Chewie cavies are very social animals and are more happy in pairs or groups. Like Susan said you really should find a better vet.

I'm going to give you some links that might help you out with some things. The first link might help you find a better vet the second one is a link to a page of links that might help. The third one is a link to GL (guinea lynx) which is mostly a medical guide but there are some other tips on there on other things. The last one is a link to KM which is an online hay store they have great hay. Oh yes here's a tip if you want to order the hay and pellets online, when it comes to ordering the hay and pellets it's cheaper to buy in bulk. Anyway I hope you are enjoying the forum as much as I am and if you have anymore questions I'll be happy to answer them,

Ps. I would love to see more pigtures :).

Guinea Lynx :: Finding a Veterinarian

https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/introductions/17032-newbies-please-read-post-first.html

(broken link removed)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.