Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Making new cage.

lmg99

Cavy Slave
Hi,

I am making a new home for our pig Boobah this weekend. I have found the cubes at home depot, and didn't even realize that I have the coroplast already:) What I was wondering, how do i decide where to designate where I want him to go to the bathroom. We have always had his cage pretty much covered in the wood bedding and he pretty much goes anywhere. What do I put there to encourage him to go to the bathroom in a certain spot.
And, we are also probally getting a new pig from the Humane Society this weekend. I will keep them seperated by cube walls, but any other suggestions would be great?

THANKS to all of you, I'm making a bigger home and getting him a buddy=)=)=)

Furkidsmommy

Cavy Slave
I have personally found little success with training piggies that said you could put litter boxes in corners or where they eat and drink. People usually have their entire cage covered in shavings anyway so it doesn’t really matter. If you are getting a new piggy be sure of the sex of your current piggy and any future piggies before allowing them to live together.https://www.cavyspirit.com/sexing.htm Plus any new guinea pig should be quarantined to preserve the health of your current piggy. https://www.cavyspirit.com/sociallife.htm#Quarantine
Good luck building your cage.

AngelsCavies

Cavy Slave
Piggies usually go in one spot. Unlike mine I have 10 girls with 5 new borns and one on the way and they all have 2 spots and they both are way in the back corner of their cages. And when I spot clean it I have to clime in it and go back their while they sniff at my shoe and clean it. lol I have a 4x6x3x2x1x4x4. Ill have the new pic posted tomorrow. I also have a boys cage thats a 4x2x2x2x2x4 its an L shape for the boys. I have 3 in there now and I think Peanut has 3 new boys. I will double check in another week to prove me right or wrong on the sex of the babies.

RubyPiggie2

Cavy Slave
My pigs never go in one spot! That's why I don't spot clean (bad me!) But I would just be cleaning their cage each time! AngelCavies, I thought you only had a 2x4x2x2?

Piglet

Cavy Slave
Mine usually go in dark places - under the second level, or in corners

AngelsCavies

Cavy Slave
oh no. I have 2 cages connected together with a divider. The boys can see the girls and it is in the pic post in my name and the girls has the 2x3 opened up connected to their 4x4. I will post that pic in a while after I put the 5 bags of bedding in the hall way. Just went out and spent 50 dollars last night in bedding, piggie food and rabbit food too.

kavykritter

Cavy Slave
Ing99, that sounds good, except that the guinea pigs suffer from high humudity changes and high humidity and that is at the peak when you shower, and they don't get as much attention in there, by default, because you can't just pet as you walk by, and there are also more germs in there and stuff like that, so they would be better off somewhere else like a living room or near the kitchen and dining room, also see the link: www.guineapigcages.com/location.htm that tells you like the pro's and con's of each room, and then gives suggestions on where to put the cage

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
kavykritter, the cage is not in the bathroom. lmg99 just wants to know how to train them to go potty in a certain spot. =)

Starbucks

Cavy Slave
please dont forget to quarantine the piggies before you even put them near each other (they should be completely seperate rooms for several weeks).

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.