Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

What brand of Hay?

mefingas

Cavy Slave
I was wondering other then oxbow is there any other brands of packaged hay that is good? Right now it looks like the only way I can even get oxbow is by ordering online. Also, what would you suggest for something to keep hay in for someone getting a 5 week old baby? Thanks

three_piggies

Cavy Slave
Natures Cafe (comes in Mini bales) is good hay.
Um there is Kaytee hay, although I don't like it much. Dry and smushed into tiny peices.Sorry can't remember any other brands..

Um just go to your local feed store or something and look for mini bales of hay, if you don't want to order online.

Oh and a lot of people don't even like Oxbow hay, they prefer KM's hay(but you also have to order that hay online too). After all hay is hay and it doesn't really matter what brand.

Hay needs to stored in a dry place with a good air flow and no moisture. Don't store it in a plastic container it will get moist and rott. I would suggest just keep in the plastic bag that it comes (they usually have little air holes on the sides of the hay bags) in or in a cardboard box.

PS since the baby is only 5 weeks I would suggest you buy alfalfa hay.

Last edited:

mefingas

Cavy Slave
Thanks. And yes we were thinking about getting both timothy and alfalfa. I think we will mix them together because we are getting a baby along with her mom. No one seems interested in the mom. She is really young, almost two young to have had the 6 babies. We went to two feed stores and all they had was alfalfa cubes. So right now we have two more places to look and then we are going to think about getting hay online. I was wondering if it would be okay to store it in a room in the house that is cold but dry? Who ever updated the old house decided not to run heat in the room. Thanks.

three_piggies

Cavy Slave
The room sounds fine, just as long as it is dry.

Keep searching I am sure you can find hay from some where, with out buying online!
Wow six babies! Thats a lot!

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Have you tried Kleenmama's hay? It's the best hay and comes out to about a dollar a pound. I use this and local feed store hay.

(broken link removed)

mefingas

Cavy Slave
I have already looked at that. I found that 25 lbs of hay would run me $37. The only thing I was wondering is how much hay would two guinea pigs go through? Because before I order quality hay I would want to make sure I dont buy too much or too little.

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
I think you meant 35 lbs, right? I got mine in the end of August, and we're through perhaps 1/4 to 1/3 of it right now. It's a really good deal, trust me! Much better than the oxbow hay which is a bit dry, stalky, and costs some more.

There is also (broken link removed) hay if you live closer to there. Try it out if you'd likr--I've heard good reviews from there as well!

mefingas

Cavy Slave
Nope, $37 for 25 lbs is the final cost including shipping and handling, I checked. And I am going to check on sweatmeadow to see how much. mncavylover, how many guinea pigs do you have? Thanks

mefingas

Cavy Slave
I looked onto sweetmeadows online and for 35 lbs it is only $40 total after shipping and handling. I think we will go there, but we are going to wait to see if the last place around us gets back to us. Thanks again. Everyone has been so helpful.

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
Hmm, ok. I didn't know there was a 25-lb order.

I have two cavies, and boy do they loove their hay! I'm glad that you found something you liked.

liluqt

Cavy Slave
KM has 9, 25 and 35lb orders.. I live closer to Sweet Meadows, but it cost me 12 cents extra/lb to get it shipped from KM. It adds up to being a few dollars more overall. I'd never seen any pictures or as many reviews of SweetMeadow as I did for Kleenmama.. so I decided that it was worth it to go there instead since I felt more confident. Let me know how Sweetmeadow's hay looks! If anybody has any pictures of their timmy, i'd love to see!

mefingas

Cavy Slave
I looked again at kms and found that if I got 35 lbs it would end up being $1.17 a lb and at sweetmeadows it would cost me if I got 30 lbs it would end up being $1.33, so I am going to order some from km soon, probably when my husband gets home. It ends up being 30 cents more if I only get 25 lbs. Is 35 lbs too much to buy for two guinea pigs? Thanks again for all the help.

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
Ahh, I see that now. Silly me! It just depends on where you live, so that the shipping cost isn't so high. Other than that, they are both very good quality. I have two cavies, and they have 35 lbs. Got it Aug. 25, about 25-35% of it's gone now. If you'd like a photo of how much to expect, there is one in my photo gallery.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.