Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Water bottle woes:(

weepweep!!

Cavy Slave
OK I need some help finding a good water bottle that does not leak it's entire contents into my babies house every day?? What do you use?? I have them drinking from a bowl but that is a all day project in itself. I am changing water 3-4 times a day!! Ahhh!! :eye-poppi
Any help is muchly needed! Thank you!:)

WheeksUnlimited

Cavy Slave
I use the Lixit brand water bottle. Fill it to the very top, and screw the cap on tight. I have had no leak problems at all.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
This thread belongs in accessories, not the kitchen. I am moving it.

Toadies

Cavy Slave
I use Lixit 16 oz. Chinchilla bottles. The angled top makes it easy to fill and the cap seal works very well, little or no leaks. It's also easier to clean.

Jenni_Feathers

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I have one that is like 10 years old still in great shape, and one from Walmart, they both work good. So does my hamsters Lixit one.

banjosnotbombs

Cavy Slave
I've never had any problems with Critter Canteens.

ctinaw

Cavy Slave
I don't recall the name of mine, but it is glass and has a little duckie in it. It doesn't leak much except when it is less than half full.

If you haven't already, well first get a new bottle - then place a regular brick (from lowes or home depot, they are cheap) under the bottle - it absorbs the water drips so the bedding won't get soaked and icky.

weepweep!!

Cavy Slave
Thanks everyone. I have purchased sooo many water bottles over the last while. We fill it up and come back an hour later and the water is over half gone and the shavings are all wet. I have seen that glass one I like the fact that there would be no leaching like plastic.
I will decide on a type on thursday cause that is when we are building the new cage. I want everything to be the right colors of course!!LOL But I want a bottle that will act like a water bottle not a leaky faucet.:(

envisionary333

Cavy Slave
Make sure you are filling the bottle all the way to the top and screwing the lid on very tightly so nothing leaks. Is is possible that your guinea pigs are emptying or playing with the water? Some piggies have peculiar habits like that, and a couple of mine like to make a mess- although they don't actually empty the whole thing. Another issue is if the cage moves around as the piggies run, and this can cause the water bottles to leak. I use several layers of mattress pads and fleece to absorb all the commotion and it keeps the cage from rattling, plus it's on a sturdy table.

I have nine 32-ounce water bottles through the cage (it's big and there are 11 piggies in there!) and they were all really cheap from Walmart, and I never have any problems with them. I also use the bricks since there's always a little dripping from my messier drinkers.

luvmyzoocrew

Cavy Slave
i am with you Weepweep, "no leak" water bottles are like "no leak" sippie cups i cant find one that doeent leak. But after reading everyones post i wonder if i am not making it tight enough? i will have to check that out.

TX_2_Pigs

Cavy Slave
Sometimes mine leaks sometimes it doesn't. I haven't really paid much attention to figure out why. I tried the bricks, but when it leaks, it leaks ALOT! So that didn't work. I finally just took some of the chicken's food dishes and put under the bottle to catch the leaks. I hang it on the coroplast. They just put their little paws on the edge and drink.

wickedrodent

Cavy Slave
I use a terracotta stone that I got from lowes under the bottle (critter canteen) and I have never had a problem. I used to use the thing that the gravy boat sat on (come on, who really needs that? lol) but it stained a lot. The terracotta is really really great.

QuackXP

Cavy Slave
A tight lid is a must. I also squeeze my bottle so that some water comes out to help create a vacuum.

Mommy Of One

Cavy Slave
I have seen a member use a sponge cut to fit in a dish that sits under the water bottle. It seems to work well. I have one that looks similar to TX_2_Pigs, except mine is clear and has purple print. I got it at walmart for two dollars. :)

ctinaw

Cavy Slave
I'm not sure I'd reccommend using a sponge - sponges are germ breeding grounds. You could use one but it should probably be soaked in a bleach/water solution once a week to rid it of any germs.

Not to mention, pigs might actually try to nibble at the sponge. I can't see that being good for them.

weepweep!!

Cavy Slave
I am gonna get another water bottle tomorrow and a brick at Rona. Hopefully we have a little luck. I squeeze the bottle a little to cause this lady I babysat for many years ago (she is the one who gave me my first pigs) always did and it seemed to help but I guess it works better for some bottles than others. I am soo happy to have found this site thanks for all the help.

Tomorrow is new cage building day.:heart: I found black coroplast and black grids. So our colors are black and purple. Hope it turns out the way I have it pictured in my head. It will be a 2 x 4 bottom with a 2x2 loft. Completely closed in cause I have a very courious dog!LOL I will get pics up when it is done, wish me luck!!!

Cattiee

Cavy Slave
I also have just a cheap water bottle from Wal-Mart. It leaks if I don't tighten it all the way. Then I have to give it a squeeze or two, and hit the ball to cause a few drops to come out. It makes a vacuum like QuackXP (broken link removed)said above. I have no problems after this little "ritual."

emithebug

Cavy Slave
I'm having the same problems! EVERY Water bottle I've tried is horrible. I haven't tried the lixit water bottles, though - they're kinda pricey. At this point, though, if it'll fix all the problems, I'll pay anything.

I'm giving them water in a water dish right now, and like the OP said, that's an all-day event x.x

I tried the supposedly no-leak bottle for guinea pigs that PetSmart sold - it has a fliptop and a really weird looking end (not a ball). It never leaked, but my girls couldn't figure out how to use it either :(

What Lixit bottles are y'all talking about? There are so many different kinds...

Toadies

Cavy Slave
Sometimes the leaking is caused by putting the cap on too tightly. When you do that, the plastic gasket inside the lid sort of ripples and lets water get by it. You may solve the problem by replacing worn gaskets or just tightening down firmly, not so very tight. The gaskets also get slimy underneath, so maybe taking them out completely and washing them too when you clean the bottle would help.

vanillapooh1979

Cavy Slave
Mine like to play with the water thus getting it all over. I went and bought crystal ashtrays that I sit under they are shallow yet heavy so the piggies can drink play and not soak the bedding and I can just dump it out as needed during the day .

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.