Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Other Anyone have lots of experience with dogs?

Tulia&Susie

Cavy Slave
Ok we have had dogs for awhile now so we know a good amount about them but one of our dogs is acting a bit...different. She is a bluetick/Collie mix and about maybe a year and a half to two years at the most. Just yesterday out of the blue she took rubber duck and now is trying to mother it. She trys to make it feed off her sometimes, she licks it, she carrys it around with her and sometimes crys for no reason. Her niples and below there seem to be filling and were not sure what is about that. She is not spayed. A month to two months ago she had gone into heat and...sadly...escaped our outside pen. We fear that she is pregnant but we have also heared of a false pregnancy. Now my question is why is she doing this out of the random now and what should we think about it?

TX_2_Pigs

Cavy Slave
My rat terrier went into heat. Then she started to fill up with milk. I scheduled her for an emergency spay and I rushed her to the vet because if she was pregnant it would have been with my shepherd. When they did the spay they told me that she had had a false pregnancy.

After I got her back home my cat that had 4 wk old kittens disappeared. The kittens weren't fully ready to wean and since my dog had milk, she took over and nursed the 3 kittens until they weaned.

You should get her to the vet and if she isn't pregnant, get her spayed.

piggly wiggly

Cavy Slave
She may well be pregnant. She should see a vet, to see if she is or isn't pregnant.

Jenni_Feathers

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I agree with piggly wiggly, I'd take her to the vet to see if she's pregnant. While there you can ask them that, also I would reccomend getting her spayed, it will not only prevent unwanted litters it can also save her life, since it will prevent a few kinds of cancer that are common among upspayed dogs.

piggly wiggly

Cavy Slave
Yes, deffinatley get her spayed. She already escaped once while in heat, if she is lucky enough to not have gotten pregnant this time, she may not be so lucky next time. Spaying helps prevent alot of illnesses too, like mamory tumors, pyamitria which is a bad infection in the uterus, and other cancers like Jenni said. Being in dog rescue, I have seen many females come in with big problems, and alot of them could of been prevented by them being spayed.

Please have her spayed.

Tulia&Susie

Cavy Slave
Thanks for all the responses. And most defiantely yes if she isn't pregnant(which we have no idea) right after she is getting spayed. And if she is pregnant we will wait then get her after she is done with the babies get her spayed. We also going to get my other female dog fixed as well. But thanks again and the vet thing I'll defiantely work on.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.