Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

shredded paper

silkerlover

Cavy Slave
I have seen several people on this site that use shredded paper for bedding, and I was wondering if that was ok? Because we have a paper shredder, and I thought it would be cheaper to shread old newspaper or something that to buy bedding. Also, would it be ok if I just mixed shredded paper with the bedding I use now?

Piglet

Cavy Slave
Yes, I've heard of people using shredded paper. As longs as its not coloured paper, it should be fine. However its not that absorbant so you need to change it daily, otherwise the pigs will be sitting in their own pee.

loves2travel

Cavy Slave
shredded paper works, there isnt anything wrong with using it. but it will need changing every day (and there is a smell). yea, it would probably work better if you mixed it with bedding.

Starbucks

Cavy Slave
i use shredded paper and it seems to work fine. you just have to spot clean more often because the paper isnt as absorbent, but other than that, its good. i use carefresh in the corners the piggies "dirty" also. just make sure there are no staples or anything.

Sierra

Cavy Slave
I don't think I would use shredded paper simply because it isn't absorbent enough. ever tried to use a piece of computer paper as a paper towel? Doesn't work.

three_piggies

Cavy Slave
Shredded paper in high pee areas will act like a sheild for a while if you place it above the actual bedding. I used to do that I would have a thin layer of shredded paper over the actual bedding worked well. Saved bedding too. But it kinda stunk. And I guess I just stopped using it.

Sierra

Cavy Slave
I don't think I could stand the stink either. Newspaper is sort of the same way as well.

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
I think paper towels would work better. The paper doesn't absorb much at all.

Why would you be using this? If it's to cut odwn on costs, you're better off using fleece. It has dailoy changes, too, but it's also reusable, and more absorbant.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.