Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

bunny and kitty?

sara85

Cavy Slave
hypothetical:

if one were to get a bunny, and then perhaps a year later take in a cat, would this work? If the bunny's exercise time happened when kitty was in a different room? And if bunny lived in a cat-proofed C&C cage?

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
I have house buns and cats. Most of the time the cats leave rabbits alone. In a fight a rabbit is actually more likely to win due to their extremely strong rear legs.

That said I have recently added a kitten to my household. She is fascinated with the rabbits. One of them she mostly leaves alone as the rabbit soundly "thumped" the kitten for getting to rough several times. The other rabbit is more friendly towards the kitten and the kitten often grooms the rabbit (much to the rabbit's delight). However the kitten also doesn't understand that the rabbit doesn't like to be chased or to have his head chewed on so I have to chase the kitten off occasionally.

In general they all get along fine. Cats and rabbits are usually compatible. You will just have to keep a close watch on their interaction and redirect rough play or aggression or keep the cat separated if it's prey drive is too high.

sara85

Cavy Slave
thanks! that is great to know. I have little experience with cats so I never know how they'd respond.

hayley411

Cavy Slave
I have four rabbits and a cat but its tough in our household because the doors have to be shut all the time. My cat has brought in a total of seven wild baby rabbits (all dead) through his cat door so i am afraid that he might do some thing to my rabbits. But i think it all depends on the cat if it were a strickly inside cat that never had to hunt for food i dont think it would be a problem, but we found our cat abandoned and the people around the area said he had been out there for about two months.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.