Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Veg*n I just saaw that video.

Eckerd

Cavy Slave
That meat video. It disgusted me. but im 13 and only way 74 pounds. And if i go vegetiarian. I probally will nto gain weight or i will die. I just dont know what to do.... I dont wanna kill animals. and i might even make a animal rescue when i grow up.... but i cant do that if i eat them. I dont know what to do!!

Josephine

Cavy Slave
You need to research vegetarian diets and nutrition a bit. There are plenty of high calorie vegetarian choices. Not all vegetarians are toothpicks (I'm living proof). I'm sure you want to build muscle, though, and not add fat. The balance comes with solid nutrition and exercise.

Eckerd

Cavy Slave
Oh okay. Could you like post a dinner that you guys will eat. Do you guys just eat fish and salad...

C

Chrissy

I'm your age and just a little over your weight and have been veggie since I was four.

I don't eat fish. And I don't only eat salad.

For dinner I will eat veggie burgers (Morning Star Farm is my fav. brand). I'll eat anything that isn't meat or has any animal ingriedients. There are so many choices I doubt you'll have any trouble finding food that you love. I'm not vegan, so I do drink milk and have dairy products so it is easier finding food that way. Good luck going veggie!

Eckerd

Cavy Slave
My dad just told me they could eat rice and curry and stuff. And beans and other stuff. And i love salad. im not going to turn vegitarian. Probally just going to tone down on meat eating. Well i cant eat beef anyway. So i only eat chicken,turkey,fish.

Josephine

Cavy Slave
You can add all sorts of beans to anything for extra protein and flavor.

I love typical American choices, especially fresh salads, sandwiches, pizza, pasta, and Mexican food (especially enchiladas). I found early on that I could make veggie versions of almost any main course--as long as the dinner wasn't a juicy steak (ALONE). My sister and her hubby eat that way. NO VEGGIES and almost NO FRUIT! I hate to say it, but they're both in for early cardiovascular disease if they keep it up.

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
Eckerd said:
Oh okay. Could you like post a dinner that you guys will eat. Do you guys just eat fish and salad...
Vegetarians do not eat any meat. That includes fish and poultry. So no, we do not eat fish.

Of course we don't all eat salads! Cake is vegetarian. So is pizza. Lots of things that you eat are already vegetarian. Visit (broken link removed) for lots of recipes.

Eckerd

Cavy Slave
Yeah but that stuff has dairy products in it. And my dad said that vegetirans dont eat dairy.

Treen

Cavy Slave
It's vegans that don't eat dairy produce, eggs or other products made by creatures such as honey.

Vegetarians simply don't eat dead animals - they still eat what living animals produce.

Eckerd

Cavy Slave
What you mean what living animals produce. Poop.??

Treen

Cavy Slave
I meant dairy produce, eggs and honey really. But I'm sure there's no vegetarian objection to you eating poop if that's what you fancied!

Eckerd

Cavy Slave
That was a joke.

Josephine

Cavy Slave
What do people think about gelatin?

As a lacto-ovo vegetarian, I don't eat gelatin, which is made from animals (bones, cartilage, etc.). I do eat honey, too, so I don't think I could ever go vegan.

Eckerd

Cavy Slave
eww jello is made out of animal bones. Im feeling sick.

Josephine

Cavy Slave
Yes, but you can get veggie gelatin (like Emes Kosher Jel or Hain's Superfruits).

Marshmellows are made of gelatin, too. A lot of processed products have gelatin in them. You can't be certain if it says "Kosher" unless you know the source since a lot of Kosher gelatin is made from fish. Carageenan or agar agar are two plant sources of jelling agents. Seaweed, basically.

C

Chrissy

I don't eat gelatin. When I found out what it was I started reading package lables making sure there wasn't any gelatin, etc.

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
That's awesome! Yes, it is vegans that don't eat *any* animal products. I think Treen knew that was a jike, by the way. :)

Treen

Cavy Slave
mncavylover said:
I think Treen knew that was a jike, by the way. :)

Thank you mncavylover!

I don't eat gelatine. Food tends to be quite well labelled over here, so if it's used in a dish, you get a tip off by the lack of the green 'V' on the front. You soon get in the habit of quickly scanning the ingredients anyway.

Sweets are a bummer though, and the veggie ones just aren't quite as nice. I did find some I really liked but can't find them anymore. But hey ho, I'm sure my teeth are thanking the manufacturers for that one!

I did find some vegetarian mini marshmallows once, and they were really good (nice in hot chocolate with whipped cream on the top!) but I can't find those anymore either.

loves2travel

Cavy Slave
my friend turned completely vegetarian about 2 and a half years ago, and as a meat eater, she was a pencil. Now, she has to work at shedding off a few extra pounds.

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
Oops, I meant joke. :) Sorry about that.

I wish that products here had the awesome green V on them. I went to England, and it was awesome! It's stamped right there, plain to see, on any product that meets their guidelines. Why can't we have that?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.