Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bunny Cage Trays

Rkymtn_Buns

Cavy Slave
Hi:

I saw the excellent diagram for building bun cages with the grids. Where do you get the plastic trays?

Thanks!

three_piggies

Cavy Slave
Um the plastic trays, are really made out of a plastic product called Coroplast (aka Correx, Corregated Plastic). It can be purchased at a sign store, biggest size is a 4 ft x 8 ft sheet. Look in the phone book and call every sign store. Or if you live in the US you can get some election signs for free, if any of your neighbors or local businesses have any. They (election signs) come in quite large sizes, you just have search.

For help locating coroplast in you area see here- https://guineapigcages.com/where.htm

For instructions on how to make a CC cage-
https://guineapigcages.com/howto.htm

And for more pictures to get ideas on what to build for a rabbit see here - https://www.guineapigcages.com/photos/showgallery.php?cat=531&password=

A rabbit cc cage needs to be covered because they jump, and have preferably a second level seeing as they like to jump, and have a few doors too. Those were just a few tips, that I found I needed when making my rabbit a cc cage.

If your rabbit is totally litter box trained then some people just use foam board instead of coroplast.

Last edited:

Rkymtn_Buns

Cavy Slave
Thanks!

I wasn't sure what the coroplast was, nor the correlation. Is it completely waterproof?

Off to Target I go!

Last edited by a moderator:

three_piggies

Cavy Slave
Yes coroplast is completely water proof. But in the corners there is a tiny space where you connect the two sides and sometimes there might be a little bit of leakage, although I have never experienced any. And my rabbit even tends to pee in a corner if he decides not use the litter box.
Good luck building your new cage!

Rkymtn_Buns

Cavy Slave
Thanks!

I went to Target and they didn't know what I was talking about re: the cube grids. Went to Walmart and they had a box of 24 14x14" for $16.99. They were plain aluminum color and I want the colored ones. I'll call around to some other Targets tomorrow - maybe they'll have some. Nothing at Home Depot or Lowes.

Anybody know where else they are available?

I'm building a new house bc my Nederland Dwarf buns are in a 3'x3' wood framed hutch with a (I shake-shingled it!) roof. It's incredibly heavy even after taking the roof off, and to take it out to hose down is a major chore - impossible to truly clean indoors. Plus, the wood has warped and it is difficult to slide the bottom tray in anymore. Cool little house, though.

FREE to Denver area folks.

three_piggies said:
Yes coroplast is completely water proof. But in the corners there is a tiny space where you connect the two sides and sometimes there might be a little bit of leakage, although I have never experienced any. And my rabbit even tends to pee in a corner if he decides not use the litter box.
Good luck building your new cage!

loves2travel

Cavy Slave
they are available at fred meyer as well, im not sure if you have one near you. Alos, they are carried at storables. I got mine from home depot and from target.

three_piggies

Cavy Slave
Fred Meyer is only on the West Coast, there are lots in Oregon, and Washington, and a few in Cali. But they are not Colorado. Um I couldn't find colored grids. Only white, silver, grey, and black which I found out at Bed Bath and Beyond. Good luck finding colored grids! Let us know how it goes! Because I have been wanting some colored grids!

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
At Target, they are in the shelving section, in with the bookcases and such. They are :Organize-It" brand.

Rkymtn_Buns

Cavy Slave
Wow! Thanks for all the help! I finally found them at another Target, only black or white. (Wish I could have mixed them for a domino effect - ha!) Settled on the black with red coroplast and am now in the process of building the new playground. My girls are so small, I can build ledges that can support them in the corners with the fittings.

Fun driving home with the coroplast sticking out the top of my car - I was parasailing down the road!

loves2travel

Cavy Slave
lol. we have an SUV, so unfortunately, i didnt get to parasail.

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
Glad that you found what you were looking for, Rkymtn! (I assume you like near the Rockies?)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.