Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

home for a hamster

sara85

Cavy Slave
Hi,

I am likely adopting two dwarf hamsters tomorrow. I am not able to make a cage. Does anyone know the best kind of housing to buy them? Those crittertrail things look so small, but I worry about constant chewing on bars. Are there any commercial cages that are good, or should I go with a 10-20 gal aquarium with a screen top?

thanks

Libby

Cavy Slave
Congratulations on deciding to rescue two dwarf hamsters. They can be great fun to handle and watch. Their antics are hysterical!

I've had my share of hamsters. From the Syrians to Roborovskis. Have you decided which breen of dwarf hamster you'll be adopting? I had Campbells. The breed you decide to go with will make a difference in how to house them.

Since you've already decided on dwarves, I won't go into everything I know about Syrians. But, dwarves technically need more room than their larger counterparts. For two Campbells Russian dwarves, I would say it would be a shame to get anything smaller than a 40-gallon aquarium. And a wire-mesh lid is an absolute must! Roborovskis are even smaller and more active, so I wouldn't dare get anything less than 40-gallons for them. There are so many commercially sold cages and tanks that are inadequate for housing hamsters. They can easily slip through bars, chew through plastic tubes and trays, and are excellent climbers. I've found either aquariums or large plastic bin cages are the best housing for hamsters of any kind and are the least likely to aid and embed an escapee.

Dwarf hamsters love to burrow, so lots of bedding is a must. I've used Carefresh, Soft Sorbent, and aspen. I found aspen to be the most effective and pocketbook-friendly. They sell mass quantities of hamster toys and such, but I would suggest always doing your research before purchasing anything. A lot of the things on the market can be harmful and dangerous to your new pets.

And, of course, be careful with sexing your hamsters. It can be difficult to tell sometimes on the smaller breeds, but they are prolific baby-makers and that is a mess you definitely should avoid at all costs.

Just do a lot of research. Make sure these little critters are what you want. They may be small, but they require quite a bit of care and attention. Have you decided where you're going to adopt them from (ie. which rescue or shelter)? Please keep us updated and feel free to ask any questions you might have. Good luck!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.