PDA

View Full Version : Brand new owner, need advice

blackiemom
10-11-07, 03:19 pm
Hello!! We have a young black guinea pig (we think male but need to confirm at vet), Blackie, that we bought at PetSmart a few months ago. I've learned A LOT since then that I wish I had known a few months ago. This site has been incredibly helpful. Our main problem is that we don't have the space in our home for a larger cage, especially because we are trying to sell our house right now and need to keep it nice looking. We didn't realize how much space they need when we bought him, big surprise. We love our little guy, though, and are trying to do right by him. My idea right now is to get him an older male companion and a large C&C cage in the garage. Our garage is very nice, insulated with heat and AC because it's my husband's second home :cheerful:. There is a fridge there to keep their veggies in and they will get companionship from each other, also when my husband and five year old hang out in there and whenever I visit them through the day. I guess I'm worried because the garage is isolated from the rest of the house and they will be alone most of the day. I still think this is better than our one guinea pig alone in a smaller cage even though he is in the house with us. I don't get to take him out often because we also have an 18 month old (human). I will research introduction, quarantine etc as well. What do you think of my plan? Thanks for all advice in advance.

pignewton
10-11-07, 05:22 pm
If the garage is heated and has a/c then I say go for it! He will be much happier in a large C&C cage with a buddy.

deathnotronic
10-11-07, 11:26 pm
I would opt against the garage. This link http://www.guineapigcages.com/location.htm (http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/../../location.htm) pretty much tells you why a garage is a bad idea. My boys take up my entire closet.

A 2x4 is not that large and could probably fit on top of a desk. You could even use the grids to make a two "story" cage. The top floor being their living area and the bottom area for storage and whatnot.

Good luck with everything though. The images on here are nothing compared to how big their cages are in real life

wickedrodent
10-11-07, 11:47 pm
From your description, it sounds like your garage has been converted into a room off the house? Is it still being used for cars?

As long as its stable temperate (as the rest of the house) and the pig will be getting lots of attention in there, I do not see a problem with the cage being there. If there are still cars/tools there. I would advise against it.

blackiemom
10-12-07, 12:20 am
Definitely no cars in our garage! I've talked to my husband about fumes etc since he does woodworking projects in there sometimes. We would just have to move the cage inside temporarily if he had a project to do. The temperature is pretty stable as well. I guess my main concern is that he won't be as much a part of the family although my husband spends at least a couple hours every night in his garage, mainly watching television. Will having a companion make up for having less contact with us? I know how important it is for him to have a buddy. By the way, we put together his new, larger cage tonight and he went nuts in it. It warmed my heart to see him so happy, jumping all over the place and checking everything out.

deathnotronic
10-12-07, 12:34 am
I don't think the garage would be the ideal place, especially if your husband does woodworking. The fumes, and the sawdust, and whatever woodworking entails would probably cause major health issues with your piggy. You're better off keeping him inside.

Guinea pigs are herd animals, they thrive with other piggies. While it certainly does benefit your pig having another friend, that it not an excuse to leave it alone all the time. I'm sure you won't do that, but in order for your pigs not to be scared of you and run away, you'll have to dedicate some time per day solely to them.

Glad to hear he's jumping around, it's so funny watching them popcorn all over.

Fluffy_Guinea
10-14-07, 06:49 pm
Welcome to the forum!

I don't think it's a good idea to put them in the garage the fumes like Deathnotronic said would cause many health problems with your pig. About the bringing the cage in and out it might be a bit stressful for both you and your pigs. Anyway make sure to take note of the sticky threads on the top of each board they are extremely useful. I hope you are enjoying the forum as much as I am.

Fluffy_Guinea
10-14-07, 07:07 pm
oh I forgot to put this in my post here's a link to GL another great site!

Guinea Lynx :: A Medical and Care Guide for Your Guinea Pig (http://guinealynx.info/)

buttons
10-15-07, 07:10 pm
I am against putting them in the garage as well. Even when your husband isn't working on a project the air is different from in the house or outside. Sawdust isn't very good for guinea pigs and I read it could lead to health problems.
Also there are probably no windows for light and I doubt you'd leave the light on for them at daytime, even without others humans in there.