Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Important Safety Reminder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Susan9608

Cavy Slave
If you are under 18 years old DO NOT post your age anywhere on the forum.

This includes statements like:
  • I'm not allowed to post my age on the forum
  • I'm still in elementary/junior high/high school
  • I don't have my driver's license yet
  • I'm not old enough to vote yet
  • and any other statement that could potentially reveal minor status
This regulation on the forum is for YOUR safety. We are trying to protect minors from predators lurking on the internet. I know this is a friendly forum and that it seems incomprehensible that a predator would stalk out a guinea pig community, but it CAN and DOES happen.

Please take this seriously. The moderators will edit out all references to age, if the poster is a minor. If we have to edit the same individual's posts for age references more than once, infractions will be given.

Again, this is not punitive. This is a safety concern.

Thank you for your cooperation.

JarBax

Cavy Slave
I wonder if ''my mum/dad wont let me...'' etc could also be considered an age reference? I quite often read posts where members talk about having to ask permission from parents for something, and wonder if others see it as an indication of age too.

TX_2_Pigs

Cavy Slave
and wonder if others see it as an indication of age too.

I do. But I don't think you can completely eliminate statements that indicate age. If a person posts enough they eventually give out enough information that could be dangerous once it is put all together. I try to be very careful about the information I post but I bet if you went back through and read all of my posts, you would find out more about me than I really intended to share.

The moderators will edit out all references to age, if the poster is a minor.

Unfortunately this is very obvious when you do this and is, in itself, an indicator, especially when you put the reason for the edit was removing age indicator.

Just as important as not posting any references to age, and maybe even more so, should be not posting any references to where you live. Things like, such-and-such rescue is near me and they have these cute little gp's or craigslist has this handsome guy, or look what I saw on petfinder. Chances are these listings are in their area.

The moderators do a fantastic job here and if everyone was a little more diligent about how much personal information they gave out, y'all wouldn't have as much to worry about.

Susan9608

Cavy Slave
Unfortunately this is very obvious when you do this and is, in itself, an indicator, especially when you put the reason for the edit was removing age indicator.

Personally, I try to leave the "reason for edit" blank, and I try to private message people about what I edited.

I'm sure that if someone is truly dedicated, they could go through every single one of someone's posts and find out information about them. But announcing you're a minor is just asking to be a target. Minors shouldn't be releasing any information about themselves without their parents' consent. Adults can choose what to release for themselves.

We just want people to exercise basic caution and protect individuals as best we can. One of the firm rules here is no posting of your age if you're under 18 and I'm asking that people not post any age indicators either. We will - as discretely as possible - edit out all ages and age indicators from posts.

QuackXP

Cavy Slave
Even if your over 18 watch what you post online in general. Just because you turn 18 does not mean that online predators suddenly go away.

cavy-cool-crazy

Cavy Slave
I wonder if ''my mum/dad wont let me...'' etc could also be considered an age reference? I quite often read posts where members talk about having to ask permission from parents for something, and wonder if others see it as an indication of age too.

Good point - but don't forget even us 18 and overs can still live with and rely on our parents! I still have to get my parents permission before adding to the herd or doing this or that.

Susan9608

Cavy Slave
Just because you turn 18 does not mean that online predators suddenly go away.

You're absolutely right about that; predators do not just disappear because you're over 18. However, children need adults to protect them; adults usually can protect themselves. Thus, we try to protect minors with our rule about posting their age if they're not 18. Adults can decide for themselves what information they want to give out to virtual strangers.

QuackXP

Cavy Slave
You're absolutely right about that; predators do not just disappear because you're over 18. However, children need adults to protect them; adults usually can protect themselves. Thus, we try to protect minors with our rule about posting their age if they're not 18. Adults can decide for themselves what information they want to give out to virtual strangers.

Also turning 18 does not suddenly give you the wisdom to make the best decisions for yourself. I was 18 once and looking back made some undesirable decisions. Now you can make them online for the whole world to see.

I really like the new public service ads that are about the internet. One is where a bunch of random strangers out in public comment to a girl about a revealing photo she posted. The other is a teenager yelling through a megaphone out in public stuff they posted online that they thought was confidential.

My point is whether your 16, 18, or 68 be careful what you say on the internet.

Last edited:

Susan9608

Cavy Slave
This is not something that's up for debate.

When you're over 18, you're legally an adult. Whether or not you're emotionally, spiritually, or psychologically an adult, well, that's your own personal business.

The point here is not to debate what should or should not be posted on the internet. The point is to emphasize that here on THIS forum, anyone under the age of 18 is a minor and, as such, is not allowed to post their age or any significant age indicators on the forum. Ages/age indicators will be deleted (with discretion) and after the first offense, infractions will be given.

This is a safety issue.

Are we saying adults should randomly give out personal info? Of course not. We're saying that adults can have the wherewithal and insight to protect themselves whereas children are not socially, developmentally, psychologically or physically able to do so. Therefore, we have this rule to protect CHILDREN and count on the adults to protect themselves.

Thread closed.

Just follow the rule. It's not a difficult one.

Status
Not open for further replies.