Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Other small pet?

sara85

Cavy Slave
Hi, I have two very sweet guinea pigs and I absolutely love them. I'm thinking about adopting another type of animal (what can i say, they make me happy) and my landlord company doesn't allow cats/dogs, just animals in contained cages(they don't know about floor time, hehe). I've been researching everything--mice, hamsters, gerbils, degus, hedgehogs, rats, chinchillas (though I'm not sure I'll have space to accomodate my piggies AND chins) and I've even thought about reptiles like geckos or turtles/tortoises. (No snakes though). I was just wondering if anyone had any opinions on the temperment or care of these animals. I'm looking for a relatively low-to-medium-maintenance animal, that doesn't require an enormous living space (something that could sit on a desk or table would be ideal, as I'm running low on floor space after the piggie cage). There's also a good chance the animal would live in the bedroom, so animals that are super-active at night might not work. I'm not necessarily looking for something that likes to cuddle/be held--it'd be nice, but if not, they should at least be kind of fun to watch.

I'm a college student so I don't have a huge budget, which is why hedgehogs and chins might not happen. I'm thinking gerbils or hamsters, maybe degus or rats if I can find the space--do any of these animals have cages that can go up, rather than out?

Thanks for any info!

Piggersrule

Cavy Slave
Rats make excellent pets and can have a cage that is higher than wider. Rats are climber and won't have a problem with a cage like that.

crazywiggy

Cavy Slave
My favourite little animal is mice - I would highly recommend them.

Space wise they would be easy to accomodate - they certainly take up much less room than rats or chins. Assuming you get adult mice you would be fine with cage with narrow bars. I personally don't like aqauriums because mice love to climb - so a multi-level cage would be great.

They're not cuddly pets, although they can become hand-tame, but they are great to watch. I had a group of nine and all had different personalities. One just loved the running wheel, one was always climbing, one was known as the "tidy up mouse" because she spent all her time rebuilding the nest where the others had dragged the bedding around the cage! My cage was 3 levels joined by tubes - and every week she spent hours trying to pull loo roll tubes up through the pipes - she managed it once. They are very active, and not nocturnal like hamsters so you're more likely to see them awake. Mice rarely bite (in my expereince you're far more likely to be bitten by a hamster).

Beware of keeping hamsters in a bedroom - I pet-sat two syrians for a friend once and it was a nightmare. One of them stored all its food in the running wheel then spent the night running - the noise was horrendous!

YANGLiCiOUS

Cavy Slave
Beware of keeping hamsters in a bedroom - I pet-sat two syrians for a friend once and it was a nightmare. One of them stored all its food in the running wheel then spent the night running - the noise was horrendous!
I bet to differ, I kept ALL my hamsters in my room, and they don't do it.

I think hamsters made excellent pets, and Syrians are the best. I got 5 myself, and they are all so sweet and bubbly.

wickedrodent

Cavy Slave
Hamsters are great pets, but remember, if you get a Syrian- they must be housed alone.

I personally recommend rats, I hear great things about them. There are loads of people on here that can probably vouch for them as well.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.