Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bad weather/contigency plans?

tpals

Cavy Slave
I'm wondering if anyone has ideas on what to have on hand in the winter for fresh foods. It hasn't happened recently but I remember one year we were snowed in for 2 weeks. Other than always having a good supply of pellets and hay what would you do if you ran out of lettuce?

FoolOnTheHill

Cavy Slave
I'm not sure what vegetables you could use, but if you didn't have anything else for Vitamin C you can feed a plain vitamin C tablet until you can get more veggies.

'While many guinea pigs receive adequate vitamin C from fresh vegetables and pellets, you may wish to ensure your cavy gets adequate vitamin C by giving a quarter of a 100 mg chewable or plain vitamin C tablet, or provide a small amount of liquid vitamin C drops to each cavy.' is what Guinea Lynx says.

John4216

Cavy Slave
I'm wondering if anyone has ideas on what to have on hand in the winter for fresh foods. It hasn't happened recently but I remember one year we were snowed in for 2 weeks. Other than always having a good supply of pellets and hay what would you do if you ran out of lettuce?

Well for winter and the scenario you described it is difficult to do alot seeing as you can not get to the store, can not get supplies in and can not forage for fresh grass and such.

I would suggest, if you can afford it, the following precautions to take when winter begins. Stock up on hay and pellets (you can freeze pellets for storage), enough to last through how long it may take. Buy some Vitamin C tablets made for GP's. If you can afford it, try to buy a portable heater and small backup generator to power things like the heater/fridge. And keep your fresh veggie supply stocked up as much as possible during the winter. Some things like peppers can last quite awhile in the fridge and I know my lettuce can last for quite awhile as well if I store it properly. Things like apples can also last a long time on their own.

You can also consider various fresh herbs that are sold in packages that piggies can eat and they last quite awhile in the packages.

PhoenixFeather

Cavy Slave
Probably the simplest answer is to have vitamin C tablets on hand in case you couldn't get fresh veggies for your piggies.

However, if you know how to sprout, you could store dried mung beans and/or alfalfa seeds, as those sprouts can be grown quickly indoors, and can be fed a couple of times per week according to Ly https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/diet-nutrition/30259-bean-sprouts.html?highlight=sprouts

You could also try keeping an indoor container garden going with some herbs like parsley, cilantro (not sure how well that would grow indoors), dill, etc. You could also keep a few lettuce plants growing in your house year-round to save on costs and ensure that you'd always have lettuce for your piggies.

You can also grow carrot greens easily in your house, by just placing a carrot top on a saucer with some water. See these threads
https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...0-carrot-tops.html?highlight=grow+carrot+tops
https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...w-carrot-tops.html?highlight=grow+carrot+tops

Carrot tops can be fed about twice a week.

John4216

Cavy Slave
You could also grow wheat grass inside during the winter. I know I grow a few flats of wheat grass every winter for the girls to enjoy and it does not take long at all for it to grow and they love having the fresh grass duirng winter.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.