Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Death of Domino

Gpig Parent

Cavy Slave
One of our kids two GPigs died unexpectedly yesterday. Domino was just about 3 years old. We don't know what cause was but we suspect my 5 year old might have accidentally done something when we weren't looking. In past, we caught him picking him up and dropping him or squeezing him tightly. Needless to say, my two other kids (8 and 10) are very upset and saddend by loss of Domino. The burial is today after school.

Domino's brother "cookie" been together since we got them. Since the loss of Domino, Cookie has been hiding in his igloo and not come out to eat (Hay, Carrots) We hope he's not going to starve himself!

Is getting another male pig the answer?? (for companionship) My concern is will Cookie harm the new room mate?

Will Cookie over time "get over it" and adjust to being "lone wolf".

Also, we are thinking of downsizing the cage. No need for such a big cage for just one.. (less bedding needed, clean up..)

Would appreciate advice and counsel on anyone that has gone through this before.

cinn&sprinslave

Cavy Slave
You should leave him as he is for a while, alone. If he seems too lonely then get him a friend. Although generally every guinea pig should have a cage mate, just don't rush things. He will need time to get over losing his friend.
My guinea pig Buddy, lost his cagemate Sprinkles in August 2004. Buddy was sad. He would squeak for Sprinkles. But pretty soon he got over it. And now on November 18th I am finally getting him another friend.

I am sorry for your loss.

Gpig Parent

Cavy Slave
cinn&sprinslave said:
You should leave him as he is for a while, alone. If he seems too lonely then get him a friend. Although generally every guinea pig should have a cage mate, just don't rush things. He will need time to get over losing his friend.
My guinea pig Buddy, lost his cagemate Sprinkles in August 2004. Buddy was sad. He would squeak for Sprinkles. But pretty soon he got over it. And now on November 18th I am finally getting him another friend.

I am sorry for your loss.
Thanks. I think males are territorial so it's not that simple to put another male..

cinn&sprinslave

Cavy Slave
Ya they are territorial when they are near females, and some are even when they are not. You have to go through the introduction process etc. on and on. And right now he may not be up to getting another friend. He probably just wants to be alone for a while.

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
Oh, no! That's too bad. I'm so sorry for your loss. Please don't downsize, the cage, it is best to keep it bigger. Also, it will be even more stress on the poor little guy. Also, let him understand that his friend is really gone, then think about adopting another.

jennz11

Cavy Slave
Awww thats soo sad!! : ' ( :' ( : ' ( :' ( : ' ( :' (
Ya dont downsize!! More is better! I think you should get a buddy in a while because guinea pigs usually shouldnt be kept alone. They do better in pairs.

AngelsCavies

Cavy Slave
awwwww im so sorry for your lost. Hope cookie is doing ok. Im a little scare right now for my little Gizmo. He got bit or something and it wasnt that bad until today i went to clean their cage and his bite has a open hole now and we are taking him to an emergency vet at 10:45 pm when my hubby gets home from work. Hope hes ok for that. Hes up and running around and eating. its just pussing really bad and it stinks. Will give ya update when we get back.

jennz11

Cavy Slave
Omg i feel so bad for gizmo!!! :' ( he better get well!! Make sure you tell us what happens!!!

AngelsCavies

Cavy Slave
Well good news. Gizmo will be fine :) he is on meds one is antibiotics and the other is antibiotics replacement paste. The scap is comming off and the hole is closing up. He is in his own pet store cage until the wound is healed completly. Probably Saturday I'll put him back with his brother and his uncle. Oh my hubby and I are picking up 2 more piggers tomorrow. They both are males and they have to be together and like to be with other piggers. I'll let ya know what they look like and how they do with the other 3 boys. Im so excited to get them. My hubby and I decided no more new piggers for a long time. I was reading through the pennysaver today and I decided to call this person about them and they were FREE!!!!. Yay.

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
That's great! Hope they fit in well. I don't like it when the ads say FREE personally, because then some of the people just feed them to snakes, etc. It's awful. These ones were lucky, however!

AngelsCavies

Cavy Slave
When we went out there to pick them up the people is so loving and caring. They had 4 kids. One of them is allergic to piggies. The lady that we took the piggies from was releived that we took her 2 boys to a good home with lots of piggies and caring. Right now the 2 boys are meeting with the other 3 its not too bad. One that I named Reese (new boy) and Prince Fluffy (old boy) both are trying to dominate but they really didnt go at it much just alot of chittering. I had a spray bottle and towel ready for some action. I sprayed them a few times and they quit so it might be just fine. I had Checker to be with Gizmo for awhile cause they are brothers. They both went in circles and tried to u know what. But they were happy to see eachother. Probably in a few days I'll put Gizmo back with the others.

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
Ok, that sounds good. I know that you're a great cavy owner, it's just that free seems to be a huge red flag for me. Who knows, I'm weird.

AngelsCavies

Cavy Slave
Well I just put Gizmo back with his brother last night. They both are so happy to see eachother and so is Prince. I had to keep Chewie and Reese in their own cage. Prince still chases them around.

kavykritter

Cavy Slave
prince sounds really cute in his behavior

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.