Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Room for one more?

Maisiepaisie

Cavy Slave
I'm thinking about adopting another female to live with my 4 girls and one neutered male. I'm not sure though if this would make the cage overcrowed. Its a 2x7 which is 3 wide in 3 places so its effectively a 2x7 plus a 1x3 joined together. As my grids are 14" squares I make that 24.5 square feet. Is that enough for 6 pigs? Here is my cage
https://www.guineapigcages.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/8780/cat/500/ppuser/4667

I think that would probably be fine, especially since you have mostly girls. Since your cage is a little bigger than a 2x8 in terms of square footage, that seems like plenty. According to the guidelines on this site, a 2x5 is advised for three piggies, and a 2x6 is advised for four... So, following that logic, a 2x8 would be perfect for six piggies. I have ten girls and one neutered boy in a huge cage, but even with all that space they tend to stick together most of the time.

Wonderful, now I just have to make room for a quarantine cage :)

It would be fine, but if you could expand to a 3x7, it would even be better!

I'd love to have made a 3x7 all the way along but the cage is right next to the back door and the entrance into the kitchen. There would be no room to manouevre if I did this this. Oh how I long for a bigger house :eek:ptimist:

I think the cage will be plenty big enough for six piggies, but you could always add a second level if you wanted to... ;) (Careful though, you could get carried away with the cage-building like some other people I know... not me, of course...)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.