PDA

View Full Version : Zip Ties or Connectors?

angela
09-25-07, 11:12 am
Hi There, I am going to be making a cage for my guinea pig and was wondering which would be better, zip ties or the connectors that come with the kits when making the cage

I<3MyBabies
09-25-07, 11:32 am
Angela,

Well, this all depends on how flexible you want your cage to be. If you want to make it collapsible, the zip ties may work best. Although, I find that they are less sturdy.

So, if you plan on making a larger cage, especially with a second story, you'd need to use the connectors provided.

I think the best way to use zip ties are for doors/hinges, or simply when you run out of connectors. My cage has equally spaced connecters and zip ties for added support (e.x. one pannel connected with connectors, the next with zip ties, I found this made it sturdier than doing all connectors until I ran out, and then using zipties).

Hope this helps!

Heidi

wickedrodent
09-25-07, 11:39 am
I would use both. Make the cage with the connectors, then reinforce with the zip ties. If are making a second level, this is the best way. If its going to be just one level, connectors by themselves are good.

TX_2_Pigs
09-25-07, 12:39 pm
Well, this all depends on how flexible you want your cage to be. If you want to make it collapsible, the zip ties may work best. Although, I find that they are less sturdy.

You can do either. Personally, I only used zip ties on my cage. See my thread
http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/about-cages/30116-how-i-built-my-cage-pictorial.html to see a step-by-step pictorial demonstration. This cage is very sturdy. I even have pictures where I have stood it on one side.

You do have to have it directly on a solid surface, such as a table or the floor, or you have to build a stand for it. Just make sure that you put in enough supports underneath.

Case in point. I have a very large brick in the cage. Without support directly under it, it would eventually cause problems. I would like to point out that in the above thread I mentioned that the brick weighs over 20 pounds. I actually weighed it this weekend when I cleaned out the cage. It weighs 45 pounds!

Ly&Pigs
09-25-07, 01:07 pm
You can do either. Personally, I only used zip ties on my cage.I only use zip ties too. My 2 story cage is on a piece of plywood that sits on grid stands. When using only zip ties though, you have to use more than you would when using connectors to ensure stability.

Most people use both the connectors and zip ties. It's really personal preference.

crazywiggy
09-25-07, 01:13 pm
I think it depends a lot on what you want to do with your cage.

The connectors I got with my grids were really crap - I couldn't even a basic2x3 together. Literally every time I connceted a grid one of the others fell apart!

I used all zip ties, but all my grids are overlapped so it is really strudy. You can also build lofts using zip ties - but obviously you would have to overlap grids and use the ties at each edge. The great thing about doing it this way is that you aren't limited to grid size - you can make the cage to your exact requirements. (Hence my cage is 2.5 grids wide).

If you want a flexible cage then link the grids edge to edge (not overlapping). I do this for their pen for going out on the grass, so that it folds flat (I use clips to secure the final grids when I put it up).

If you put the coroplast inside the grids they will maintain their shape. (Of course it is much harder to measure the coroplast to start with when your cage isn't rigid).

I have also heard you can use pliers to tighten the connectors if they are loose, but I don't know how well this works.

Hope that helps, and hasn't made you more confused - just a fwe things to consider.

babybunny
09-25-07, 04:22 pm
Hah yeah, the connectors on mine gave me fits. Every time I got one panel in properly the others popped out. I ended up using both, but mainly relying on the zip ties to make it stay together. Also, I did have to use pliers to get the grids to sit properly in the connectors. It was probably more trouble than it was worth and might be easier and less time consuming to just use the ties.

ortal
09-25-07, 10:06 pm
I think the cage looks neater with zip ties, I only use those. They are sturdy and cheap, can't go wrong.

Incukahlan
09-25-07, 10:43 pm
I've used both, as wickedrodent stated, they are good for reinforcing. It depends on the exact design you are going for, and the stability that will be needed. Just experiment with it, you will soon realize what needs to be done as you are in the actual building process. It's a lot easier to make judgement calls when you are right there doing it. I had my connectors, plus 3 bags of all different sized zip ties, just because my cage is turning into quite a creative project, and calls for all different sorts of things. I'm still not done, but making sure you have plenty of zip ties just in case comes in very handy. Plus they are cheap, so even if you don't use them, or all of them, it's not a loss.

PhoenixFeather
09-28-07, 09:16 pm
We made a simple 2x4 and just used zip ties as it seemed easier and more sturdy. But I realized that when we want to add an upper level, we'd need to use the connectors (or overlap grids) to make the floor of the upper level rigidly flat. because with just the zip ties, they'll never come apart, but they do bend at the joins.

If you use the connectors, the spacing is different than if you just use the zip-ties, so now if we add an upper level where the floor is made with connectors, it won't line up exactly to our bottom level. That's not really a problem, but just something to be aware of when you start out with no connectors. It hadn't occurred to me until after we built the base cage.

Good luck building your cage!

cavycreation
09-30-07, 10:53 am
We used zip ties because there weren't enough connectors for the cage and we could get them at the store. If you're planning on expanding the cage later zip ties might be a good idea because you can just cut it, but if you're not connecters are sturdier. A fault with zip ties though is that they don't go exactly with the cage measures on Cavy Cages. Hope that helps!

:melodramaCavy Creator

kala83
09-30-07, 09:12 pm
I was actually wondering this myself today cuz I was out looking at Zip Ties and Connectors. To build the 2X5 three level cage, I think I will probably end up using both just because I don't want something that size collapse lol unless I take it down when I move out of the house. But thanks all for info I I was kind of pondering this myself and it really helps me save time when others ask these questions as well. angela good luck with your cage!

QuackXP
10-02-07, 07:54 am
If itís going to be a permanent structure I would recommend both. You can never have too much reinforcement. Bear in mind Iím also new at this.

kala83
10-02-07, 11:06 am
If itís going to be a permanent structure I would recommend both. You can never have too much reinforcement. Bear in mind Iím also new at this.
Well thats just the thing..it will be permanent for a while but I might be moving to KS from MO in a few years to move in with my BF soo I would preferably like something that could collapse at some point but, since I am not planning on moving any time too soon, it would be good for it to be a fairly sturdy structure...lol hopefully that does not sound too odd hopefully you all can help me out with some advise on just what to do in my oddball situation.

QuackXP
10-02-07, 11:26 am
Well thats just the thing..it will be permanent for a while but I might be moving to KS from MO in a few years to move in with my BF soo I would preferably like something that could collapse at some point but, since I am not planning on moving any time too soon, it would be good for it to be a fairly sturdy structure...lol hopefully that does not sound too odd hopefully you all can help me out with some advise on just what to do in my oddball situation.

Just buy a nice big bag of zip ties, so you have enough to set it up twice. If it where me Iíd just buy the extra ties and take a bit of extra time putting them on and then cutting them off. Plus itís always nice to have zip ties around they are only second in line to quick fixing just about anything behind duct tape.

TX_2_Pigs
10-02-07, 11:52 am
I bought a bag of 1000 at Home Depot for $20. They lasted a looooooong time. But I am out now and need to go get some more.

And yes, with duct tape and zip ties you can fix just about anything.