Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Adopting a cage-mate -- introduce vs. quarantine?

PhoenixFeather

Cavy Slave
We have a 2.5 month old sow and we want to adopt a friend for her.

I have 2 main questions:

1) If we have to quarantine the pigs before introducing them, how will we know whether the two will get along before we make a commitment to take the 2nd one? I thought I had read about the rescue places helping you introduce the pigs before hand and seeing if they seemed compatible before choosing which one to adopt.

2) If we get a piggy that is not the same age as our Frisky, how can we handle their different nutritional needs (alfalfa hay and pellets for babies)?

Thanks!

wickedrodent

Cavy Slave
Some shelters already have done the 3 week quarentine, and guarentee a healtly pig. Others (adopted from individuals via craglist, and some shelters) do not. If they have already quarentined, then you can introduce them and make sure they get along. If not, you just have to wing it. Im doing that right now. I adopted a male (soon to be neutered) knowing that he didn't get along with male cage mates in the past, and hoping he will like my girls when they are introduced.

You can keep the timothy pellets and hay, but add the alphapa to it. Im not 100% sure on this, but I think it would be alright for an older pig to eat too. Just not it excess.

WICharlie

Cavy Slave
I would never trust a shelter or humane society to quarantine. A reputable rescue, yes. Pigs from a shelter or humane society must always be put in quarantine when you first get them and should probably be treated for mites and lice.

PhoenixFeather

Cavy Slave
Does the advice about treating for mites and lice apply even if the shelter doesn't have any other guinea pigs? Ours doesn't usually get many. Guess it depends where the pig came from?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.