PDA

View Full Version : wanting to make my own cavvy Hammocks please help!

kala83
09-24-07, 05:11 pm
I am getting three adult Cavys in my house very soon, and I could really use some advise on things. I have a lay out for my cage...already and luckily the girl I am adopting the Piggies from is giving me loads and loads of materail for the cage. So I am going to get started on doing it up a week before the girls come home. So I have also been doing research on accessories to put in the cage too!
And I know I want to do at least two hammocks, one of them I would like to be like this one
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v305/Anime_Tigeress/p_16761.jpg

I would like for it to be on the very bottom level and rest on the floor so that the girls can go in and out of it as the choose.
I also want a regular one..that is just a flat hammock that hangs down and that a piggy could crawl unto and lay in.
I would really like to try and make these hammocks before actually going out and buying them just because I want to save as much money as possible while the cage is getting set up and personally I am just really into doing crafty things anyway. These don't really look or sound too terribly difficult but I would really appreciate any advise I can get since...I do not really have a clue where to start on these things.

As a side note, my cage is going to look very similar to this one:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v305/Anime_Tigeress/Picture_006.jpg

I want my flat hammock to go up on the second level a lot like this one is and I am also thinking of doing some run around play tube things and some cozies, as well as I am getting a play castle from the girl I am getting them from too. The only major difference will be the placement of things, and my cage is going to 2X5 not 2X4.
I am planning on picking up the pieces to the CC cage on October 27th and I am getting the girls the first weekend of November...so the sooner I get the accessories done the better I think. If you girls have absolutely anything to say as far advise I would appreciate it greatly!
Thanks for listening.

buttons
10-16-07, 09:41 pm
I am also hand making a hammock, the flat kind though.

What I will do is I will measure the hammocks at a pet store and add half an inch for seam allowance on each side.

Say I measured a 10X10" hammock at the pet store that would mean that I would make my hammock fabric a 11X11".

Make two of these squares, with optional batting in between.
Pin the two pieces right sides together, making sure to attach a loop of string on each corner facing inside.

Sew the hammock together, but leave enough room for your hand to fit in. Make sure to back stich on the corners where the hammock will hang from and where the loops are.

Flip inside out. You should see an all most done hammock, but with short loops inside of string.

Sew the opening together.

Attach a longer, sturdy string with a clip onto each loop on the corners.
Enjoy!

*You may want to substitute the loops for one of those thicker pieces of stringy thingy, the stuff used on bags for the shoulder strap for example, but thinner.

kala83
10-23-07, 12:39 pm
I am also hand making a hammock, the flat kind though.

What I will do is I will measure the hammocks at a pet store and add half an inch for seam allowance on each side.

Say I measured a 10X10" hammock at the pet store that would mean that I would make my hammock fabric a 11X11".

Make two of these squares, with optional batting in between.
Pin the two pieces right sides together, making sure to attach a loop of string on each corner facing inside.

Sew the hammock together, but leave enough room for your hand to fit in. Make sure to back stich on the corners where the hammock will hang from and where the loops are.

Flip inside out. You should see an all most done hammock, but with short loops inside of string.

Sew the opening together.

Attach a longer, sturdy string with a clip onto each loop on the corners.
Enjoy!

*You may want to substitute the loops for one of those thicker pieces of stringy thingy, the stuff used on bags for the shoulder strap for example, but thinner.
That sound like a great idea I will have to look into that...thanks!

valfl
10-29-07, 10:23 am
Here is a good website with photos to accompany the step by step instructions. Also has other projects.

Hammock, Tunnel, & Pouch by Kathy (http://imageevent.com/bizylizy/craftsguineapigfun/hammocks/kathyshammocktunnelpouch)

Good Luck!
Val

kala83
10-30-07, 03:59 pm
Here is a good website with photos to accompany the step by step instructions. Also has other projects.

Hammock, Tunnel, & Pouch by Kathy (http://imageevent.com/bizylizy/craftsguineapigfun/hammocks/kathyshammocktunnelpouch)

Good Luck!
Val
Thank you very much I will let you guys know how the Hammock project goes in a few day I am planning on getting started on the cage and it accessories very soon!
I'll make sure to post pics to my Gallery!