PDA

View Full Version : Hut chewing problems

Vanthon
09-23-07, 07:41 pm
My 2 pigs there both girls keep chewing the hut and its plastic. Is it harmful for them and how can i stop them from doing that.

envisionary333
09-23-07, 08:36 pm
Are they just nibbling on the plastic, or are they actually eating it? Do they have plenty of hay and wooden toys to chew on? If they have other, safer things to chew on and they still try to eat the plastic, you might have to remove it from the cage. Guinea pigs need to wear their teeth down, but they do this mostly by eating hay. If you guinea pigs are very young, they are probably curious and testing their boundaries. Many young piggies chew on things, but eventually grow out of it.

Vanthon
09-23-07, 09:13 pm
They have two wooden blocks from the pet store and this wooden toy thing and plenty of timothy hay. And it looks like they eat it...

envisionary333
09-23-07, 10:27 pm
You'll probably have to take it out of the cage and possibly put it back when they are older and may have outgrown the chewing habit. Some pigs are just chewers, though, so you never know. I would recommend using Bitter Apple spray on it, but I don't think the plastic would hold it very well. You might be able to use other plastic toys if you look for a very thick, sturdy plastic. PVC pipes are great fun for piggies and are virtually indestructible.

Vanthon
09-23-07, 11:54 pm
Thanks alot for your help. I would thank you but im not a cavy slave yet =(

pigsforlife
09-24-07, 12:05 am
I have found that all of the wooden chews that I got from a pet store have not been used, in fact they were used more for urinating on then anything else. You are better off using untreated branches/twigs.

Maisiepaisie
09-24-07, 05:10 am
Where can I find this bitter apple spray? My pigs have started chewing the new coroplast. I thought they'd got out of that habit. Its very annoying.

Vanthon
09-24-07, 04:37 pm
Where can I find this bitter apple spray? My pigs have started chewing the new coroplast. I thought they'd got out of that habit. Its very annoying.
Guinea pig dont like the smell of vinegar too i think. Try rubbing it on the coroplast they chew on.

I<3MyBabies
09-24-07, 05:12 pm
MaisiePaisie-

Bitter apple is sold at almost every petstore. I'm not sure if you are totally against purchasing items through petstores, but as many here are ( as well as myself, though I find myself being caught in a bind and running in to grab an extra water bottle or hidey for new additions :) ), you may also be able to fine it in the grocery store, or a store similar to Target or Wal-Mart.

Online is another option...

1800PetMeds.com - Bitter Apple Taste Deterrent For Dogs 16 Oz Spray (http://www.1800petmeds.com/pdetail.asp?SK=10575&SP=&WT=&MG=&PT=&AFFID=GG&ID=18957619)

Your local vet office may also carry it. Just look around! Its very common!

Heidi