Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Ratties redesigned rat cage

jadedragen

Cavy Slave
well i wanted to give my girls plenty of bedding but at night they romp and wrestle and they would kick it all over the place and make a huge mess. so i decided to redo the cage...i tore it down completely and washed all the grids, then i rebuilt it using zip ties instead if the plastic pieces.

placed the cage in a bin so they can't kick the bedding out
redesigned_rat_cage.jpg

redesigned the lvls to go the length of the cage
whole_cage.jpg

new ladder system, moved a grid over two blocks and added the ladder
ladder_system.jpg

the inside
inside.jpg

access to bedding, the grid the the ladder rests on can be slid back or removed completely for easier access
access_to_litter.jpg

it's a new system for me so i'm not sure how well it's going to work but i guess ill find out.

wickedrodent

Cavy Slave
I commented on the photogallery.. but this cage is awesome! I would however, recommend fleece.

jadedragen

Cavy Slave
recommend fleece how?...lay it down on the grids?....if i did that they'd just destroy it.

LuvPiggie

Cavy Slave
Fleece as bedding... I don't use fleece but it's cool though. I suggest putting down newspaper or something on the upper levels because the wire isn't good for your rat's feet.

wickedrodent

Cavy Slave
Woops, sorry.

A layer of towels, and then Fleece on top. Its works as bedding. I know quite a few people that use it for their ratties, although clipping it down helps.

jadedragen

Cavy Slave
i think i'll try newspaper, if they destroy it it's no biggie.

LuvPiggie

Cavy Slave
You should keep the bottom part shavings. I'm just saying for the top levels you need something on there so that they don't mess up their cute little feet.

samoews

Cavy Slave
Great cage! Just one suggestion: frequently check your zip/cable ties because rats love to chew them off! And as for the bedding, I would also leave the wood chips in the bottom; I secure washcloths and fleece pieces to my wire mesh shelves with binder clips. It works great! They chew on the fabric sometimes, but you can buy a big stack of washcloths pretty cheaply (at Target for example), which lasts a long time.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.