Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

I have a 2x3 w/ 2 sows...thinking about it?

piggymama

Cavy Slave
Don't do it. I adopted my pigs less than a week ago. I don't have very much room, and I opted for a 2x3 based on the "minimum square footage for two pigs" column on the site. Today I switched to fleece bedding with a "litter box" containing carefresh in the corner. My pigs have that, a hay rack, a water bottle and a pigloo that accomadates both pigs nicely. I also ordered a cozy cuddle cup from a lady, and I will need space for that. I have now realized that after I get the cozy cup, there really won't be much room for them to run around freely. I am feeling guilty, and I have decided to rack my brain for a some place to put their cage because now I understand that I must expand to a 2x4 if I ever want to see popcorning piggies. Too bad I wasted $15 on a piece of coroplast. Oh well, it's worth it for their happiness. I hope no one else makes the same mistake.

ortal

Cavy Slave
You dont have to throw out your coroplast if you kept the scraps. I always buy the full sheet (its the same price here, 30$ whether its cut or not, cause everything in CT is overpriced) and then just use tape and minimul cuts to expand. I had my 2 girls in a 2x3 before I brought the 2 others home, and they got around just fine, but they were tiny little things. I knew that when they got bigger Id eventually have to rehome.

And those cozie cups are larger then youde think.

Maisiepaisie

Cavy Slave
This is the third post I've read over the last few days saying that 2x3 is the minimum for two pigs. I've just checked the homepage again (to make sure I'm not going mad lol) and it states that 2x3 is the minimum for one pig, 2x4 is the minimum for two.

i-love-nev

Cavy Slave
Maisiepaisie 2x3 is the minimum for 2 sows but 2x4 is the minimum for 2 boars as boars are much more territorial.

Maisiepaisie

Cavy Slave
I'm confused now because it doesn't say that on the homepage but it says minimum 7.5 square feet for both 1 and 2 pigs but the grid sizes are 2x3 and 2x4 respectively. Are the number of grids stated the minimum or the preferred size?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.