Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Megazorb Experiment

MilesWaterson

Cavy Slave
I've got hold of some Megazorb bedding and I'm going to try it in my piggy cage when I change their bedding this weekend. One thing I noticed straight away - Megazorb smells a bit.

Anyone else had any positive or negative experiences with this type of bedding?

It claims the following:

- "Probably the best bedding on Earth"
- "Natural fibre"
- "Dust extracted"
- "Kind to environment"
- "Dried at high temperature"
- "Sterile - No moulds or spores"
- "Natural organic absorbent"
- "No known hazards"

(broken link removed)

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
I can't say, though I think it is like Carefresh, correct? Since the bedding is only made in Englad (to my knowledge at least), I'm not sure how many people have used it. Piglet or Treen may be able to help!

MilesWaterson

Cavy Slave
mncavylover said:
I can't say, though I think it is like Carefresh, correct? Since the bedding is only made in Englad (to my knowledge at least), I'm not sure how many people have used it. Piglet or Treen may be able to help!
I think it is meant to be better than Carefresh. I've only used dust-extracted wood shavings before, so I don't know what Carefresh is like. Does it smell at all?

Treen

Cavy Slave
I thought it was a very good bedding - absorbant, non-smelly, non-dusty and the pigs seemed really comfortable on it. Works out quite economical too.

The reason I didn't stick with it was just that it didn't suit me as well as other kinds. I found it quite heavy which not only meant my weekly rubbish grew, but because it was heavy, poops seemed to stay on top of the bedding rather than get mixed in. This meant the pigs didn't smell quite as fragrant as they usually do!

Having got hold of some carefresh, I found it an infinitely better product than that. I'm still convinced I got a dud batch as I can't quite see the appeal. It was dusty and had a very strange chemically smell to it - especially when wet. It just reminded me of what you tip out of the vacuum cleaner.

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
Carefresh has a slightly paper-y smell to it, which some people find unappealing. You can't really smell it unless you're 6" away, though, so it's fine. I use aspen underneath a thin layer of carefresh to make it softer. It's really absorbent and soft, I like it. However, it's way too expensive.

Piglet

Cavy Slave
Miles, I use megazorb and I love it. Its really cheap and very absorbant. What does it smell of?

Treen

Cavy Slave
I didn't think mine smelled of anything much besides paper - definitely not an unpleasant smell.

Piglet

Cavy Slave
Same, itt just smelt papery. I have to admit, I like the smell of a freshly opened bag! Treens right though, it does have a tendancy to keep poo's at the top. Spot clean daily and it shouldn't be a problem

MilesWaterson

Cavy Slave
Well, I've been using it a for a couple of weeks now. I've found it to be less dusty than the "dust extracted" wood shavings I used to use, although it has got some dust. I've noticed this most when cleaning out the cage. The base of the cage has a thin layer of dust. However, before I used megazorb, I noticed my piggies would sneeze a few times a day. Now, I rarely hear them sneeze.

I've also found that their poos tend to stay on top, because it is quite heavy. But this makes spot cleaning easier and less bedding is kicked out of the cage because it is heavier. I've also put a bit less in than the wood shavings I used to use because it becomes more compact. So these seem like advantages to me.

It does smell a bit odd. My first impression was that it smelt a bit like sick or hops. But I think I've got used to it now. It's not very strong, just a slight odour and you only notice it when you're close.

It's also very cheap. One £5 bag has lasted me three weeks, changing the bedding once a week in my 2x4 C&C cage.

Piglet

Cavy Slave
Glad you like it. Miles, how many pigs do you have? One bag lasted me about 5-6 weeks, and I change the bedding weekly.

MilesWaterson

Cavy Slave
Piglet said:
Glad you like it. Miles, how many pigs do you have? One bag lasted me about 5-6 weeks, and I change the bedding weekly.
Just a couple of sisters. I put about half to three quarters of an inch of megazorb into the cage and I pat it down with my hand.

What size cage have you got?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.