Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Ratties Fleece for Rats?

envisionary333

Cavy Slave
I was just curious if anyone has tried using fleece bedding with rats before? I understand that chewing could be a problem, but I've noticed that my two girls are rather selective with what they chew on so I'm hoping they will leave it alone. I just modified their cage a bunch, and have switched to fleece with a litter box in hopes of litter training them. Here are some photos:

https://www.guineapigcages.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/8586/cat/500/ppuser/6864
https://www.guineapigcages.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/8585/cat/500/ppuser/6864

Since my tray is on the outside of the cage and the fleece is weighed down, I'm hoping it will work. I did use a little bitter apple spray around the edges after I saw Panda trying to pull it through.

Piggersrule

Cavy Slave
Hi and welcome back home. I've been using old bath towels in 2 of my rattie cages and so far they haven't chewed the towels. They do like to ball up the towels and lay in the middle or bury themselves in it.

samoews

Cavy Slave
Hi! We use fleece and dishcloths clipped to the shelves in our rat cage, and they do eventually chew holes in the fleece. My rats pulled a curtain into their cage through the bars and shredded it, so I wouldn't doubt if yours persist with pulling that pretty fleece through the bars of your cage! I still use the holey fleece for their blankies and such, and I don't think it will have to be replaced all that often. Your cage set up looks great however; have fun!

envisionary333

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the info! Mine have pulled all kinds of things into their cage as well, I never know what I'm going to find when I clean it. Sometimes I can't even recognize what it is, they like to shred everything up and make a big ball out of it. Cat hair, zip ties, curtains, coins, etc. They completely chewed up a hammock they didn't like, but then they didn't touch another fabric hanging toy that I put up, I think because they actually liked to sit in it.

Do you think using a light misting of bitter apple spray or vinegar over the fleece would stop them from chewing it? It seemed to work well enough on the edges so far, I'm just worried that the smell would bother their sensitive noses.

newpiggiemama

Cavy Slave
Hey! I have tryed fleece, towels, everything and what they do, in about 2 days is pull it from one side, to the other and go to the bathroom on the side where there is no fleece or anything. They dont want to dirty it. It just doesnt work out, in my opinion.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
I use fleece in my ratties cages. I don't use large pieces of it but smaller squares or strips. They have a bowl that I hide treats in the girls cage and I use fleece strips in it. They nibble on them once in a while but not very often. Then I use fleece squares here and there and they put them where they want them. I also use hand towels because they like to hide under them and sleep.

In the bottom of the girls cage, I use rag throw rugs. I can get them at Wal-Mart for like $.83 each so if they chew a bit on one it's no big deal, I throw it away. I use critter care in the litter pan.

My girls only tend to chew up things they do not like. The boys don't seem to chew anything up. I use fleece pieces in the boys cage too. The boys also have a digging bowl but since their cage is a bit smaller than the girls cage, the boys get their bowl during playtime.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.