Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Going away for weekend

PiggieNewbie

Cavy Slave
This weekend I am going away Saturday Morning and won't be home until Monday around noon.

No one will take care of the animals while I am gone, are they o.k. with pellets and hay for those two days?

Is there anyone who can come in and give them some fresh veggies? If not I would think they would be ok but someone else would know better than me.

If there is absolutely no way you can take them with you and you have no friends or family that can stop by and check in on them once or twice, then you don't really have a choice. Many guinea pigs live on this their whole life in a tiny cage, so I don't think two days will cause any harm...although I'm sure they won't be thrilled!

You may want to put an extra water bottle or two in their cage so they don't run out of water. Pile them up high in hay. They should be okay but if you can get someone to check on them, it wouldn't hurt.

Sometimes you don't have a choice. I'd add piles of hay, fill all their bowls with pellets and use loads of very deep bedding. Give them a big veggie meal before you go and check all their health, especially breathing, and do the same when you get back.
If you could get someone to check on them even once it would be better. You could also consider one of those pet-care services/places, but the at-your-place services might only do cats and dogs and a kennel would be more stressful and risky for them than staying in a quiet house alone.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.