Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

We *were* going to adopt a 3rd guinea pig, but...

Fab_Cavy

Cavy Slave
Plans changed. We got more than we bargained for. :)

It all started when Dilbert spent a night at the vets and his sister (Mocha) became seriously depressed while he was gone. It was scary that he had a respiratory infection, but it was also very sad to see her so upset. That was a month ago and everyone is very healthy now.

So we decided it was time to add a 3rd piggie to our little pair. We've always believed it's helpful with social pets to have 3. That way if one has to be separated from the group no one is left alone (I had rats like this and it worked out nicely)--plus we'd love (and have the time for) another guinea pig.

Well, we went to the shelter and they had two precious American short-haired tortie sisters. They were 7 months old and had been dropped at the shelter over 2 months ago with two older guinea pigs (who got adopted). They were both very sweet and low-key (they actually *wanted* to be picked up). The dilemma was we didn't know which to choose and felt horrible to even think of break up a pair of sisters. So, we waited for a week to talk about it and see what'd happen. If someone took one (or both) of the sisters, fate would make a decision for us.

When we went back the next week, both girls were there. We picked them both up and still couldn't choose...so we adopted them both! :)

Our application has been approved, and we get to take home the sisters (Flora and Norma) next week. We can't wait! :D

camende

Cavy Slave
Congrats!! I'm so glad Flora and Norma are staying together! I'm sure they will be very happy in their new home!

Fluffy_Guinea

Cavy Slave
Congrats on two things one for your new piggers and two you fooled me I thought you didn't get either in till I finished I'm happy you didn't take one away from the other. I'm sure they are getting a great home and will live their lives spoiled rotten.

ittybitty98577

Cavy Slave
Now thats a happy story! Im glad you adopted both. Fate did choose,huh?
I love their names Flora and Norma!

JennG

Cavy Slave
Congrats! The more the merrier! Can't wait to see pigtures!

jilovecavies

Cavy Slave
Congrats! I'm so happy two piggies will have a great new home. We must see pigtures asap!

envisionary333

Cavy Slave
Congrats, I'm very excited for you and can't wait to see the new family members! I've had that same situation happen to me twice- I fell in love with one piggy, but found they had a sibling/bonded friend that they had been with their whole lives. Even though I have plenty of piggies at home to provide company, I was incapable of separating those piggies when they were so attached and in such a stressful period of relocation. Now I have 11 piggies, go figure! (No more browsing petfinder.com....) ;)

Fab_Cavy

Cavy Slave
Thanks, All! :)

We are *very* excited. Last night we increased our 2x4 cage to a 2x6. I don't think Dil and Mocha know what to do with the space quite yet. They seem to be carefully exploring and making lots of happy sounds. I give them a day before they gallop lengthy laps and popcorn like the nuts they are. :)

Here's a petfinder link to Flora and Norma: (broken link removed)

They are the two on the right end. The petfinder ad says they are 1.5 years old, but the small (adolescent-sized) and have very shiny fine fur for that age. One of the volunteers said the other two (the ones said to be 7 months) were actually quite a bit larger and older-looking (though they look the same size in the pics). I guess it's possible there was a mixup in paper work. We'll find out this year depending on if Norma and Flora fill out or not. :)

If anyone here in Maryland is looking for a special boy, there's a handsome and *very* sweet boar at the same shelter: (broken link removed)

My husband feel in love with him almost immediately. Unfortunately we don't have room for any more setups, and there's no way I'm even going to try to keep two boars with a group of females (Dil hated a male foster pig we had--even though they were in separate cages).

Tulia&Susie

Cavy Slave
Awww, very cute piggies! I'm glad you were able to keep the two sisters together.

angelikness

Cavy Slave
ha ha! Same thing happened to us! We went to a shelter to get one friend or our new rescue piggie and ended up bringing home all that they had. Since then, we have taken in all piggies in a 2 hr. radius that needed rescued. We're FULL now. ha ha!

cavy-cool-crazy

Cavy Slave
Congrats on your new piggles! I'm so glad you have the space and time to keep them together. I know they will be so happy in their new home with new friends while still having each other.

clotho

Cavy Slave
Congrats on your new girls! I'm so glad you were able to take them both! Now they wont' be separated! Good for you!! We would love to see pigtures when you get them!!!

JennG

Cavy Slave
Oh my goodness! They're adorable! Congrats on the new additions.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.