Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

outdoor cavies

liteslefton

Cavy Slave
Newly wed and the guinea pigs go outside. In the summer, the patio stayed cool, but now that winter is approaching I am worried. I've placed them away from the house so that they get more sun and stay protected from the winds. They are in a fenced yard that's ten feet by ten feet. There is grass and concrete, which they like very much. I have two dog houses for them, filled with shavings and timothy. I've even put attics in them filled with newspaper for insulation. There is a bigger cage surrounding one house on three sides and this cage is covered tightly with a tarp that blocks wind sufficiently.

I'd like to put a heating element out there, but not sure how I could do this. Any ideas?

Faunn
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
If you have any space at all, please keep them inside. If you must keep them outside, then build them a shed that is insulated, can be secured from predators, and that has sufficient heat from a heat lamp.

tashagurl

Cavy Slave
Where do you live?

Piglet

Cavy Slave
Well, it is ok to have them outside, but it depends where you live. You could try using lamps since they would give off a bit of heat. You could put lots of fleecy stuff in the cage - cozies, cuddle cups, old face towels. You could also put lots of hay in there, so they can snuggle up in it if they feel cold;.

tashagurl

Cavy Slave
Mine live outside for most of the year too. Unless its too hot. In the winter the live in my room most of the time because my backyard floods and is all soggy.

Furkidsmommy

Cavy Slave
I think all piggies should live inside with the family. It's not just about the weather it's about the interaction you have with your animals. I would never dream of keeping my girls outside, they are family members and belong in here with the rest of us.

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
That's true as well, it's very hard to interact with them when they are outside all the time.

Piglet

Cavy Slave
Yes, ok that is true. But they may come in for floor time or lap time for a couple of hours a day

AngelsCavies

Cavy Slave
I could never leave small animals outside at all. I can see for like a few hours day but not a life time. Dogs can live outside if they love it out there not indoors. Poor pigges you should keep them in the house or you could find them frozen. Hate to say that they are so cute and loves to be held. all my piggies are in a room the i am in the most which is my pc room. I talk to them everyday and hold each one for at least an hour or two. I got 14 piggies and will be getting more from a shelter when they get more.

cinn&sprinslave

Cavy Slave
If you really have to keep them outside build a one room type of shed thing, with 3 windows or so, and during the winter two heat lamps to keep them warm, hay, and lots of food and bedding. The only problem is with keeping the outside at all is you can't bring them in the house much because of the temperature change. It is hard on their bodies to go from one temperature to another. If you can keep them inside then do that.

DaCourt

Cavy Slave
JMHO....Pigs and Dogs should not be kept outside.

roosterboy
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

Piglet

Cavy Slave
roosterboy, I swear you were banned from this site! lol

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
I agree, no animal should always be kept outside with no shelter. Even with shelter, there aren't many animals (besides those on a farm, like horses, etc.) that can just live outside all the time. If you're not watching, there's no telling what predators may get in. You also have to worry about aerial attacks (ie hawks, eagles) as well as the ground attacks, weather, and just interaction.

Loveheart

Cavy Slave
in england i used to keep my 10 guinea pigs outside in hutches then let them out in runs in the day or let them loose in the yard but thing is we didnt have alot of predators only fox's and maybe a falcon or something but are yard is fenced in and never saw bird of prey but now i move to USA and im like snakes! and eagles etc to many predators lol its so weird having a guinea pig inside the house but it makes it better as you get more interaction with the guinea pig and its more friendly too also its cute seeing them everyday

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
No matter where you are, you shouldn't keep your cavies outside. There are very few exceptions to this rule, and they aren't generally "outside." They are simply in a shed that is heated/cooled, weatherproof, and that is large enough for a good-sized cage and supplies. However, interaction is hard to come by, so that's a big drawback.

three_piggies

Cavy Slave
Mine live in a half insulated shed, which used to be wooden kids play fort. I use 2 heat lamps in the winter (like now). You can read about it the "New member" thread, post #4. They have lived out there for a year, maybe a little over a year. I bring them inside when it is too cold or too hot. Usually it is just when it is too hot though, the cold is easy to handle. Add a third heat lamp, cover some of the with fleece, and other things. But sometimes you have to bring them inside.

Last edited:

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
Ok, thanks for sharing. It's just more difficult when they are outdoors, and it's better in every case if they could be kept inside with the family.

three_piggies

Cavy Slave
Ya it's not that I don't want them inside. But my parents won't let me have them inside (its a long story). I spend a lot of time with them out in their shed though. To make the story short: It was either they live outside in a shed or my parents would make me give them to the local feedstore. I freaked out, and decided they would live outside in a shed. I would never give my babies up lol.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.