Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

rabbit has sniffles

porkchopsmom

Cavy Slave
My son's dwarf rabbit is showing signs of snuffles. He has a nasel discharge. I have been giving him water soluable antibiotic for about 2 weeks. The symptoms have not gotten better, but have not worsened. He is eating and drinking like normal. Has anyone got any ideas. The vet is not very knowledgeable about rabbits.

cheshire

Cavy Slave
You'll indeed want to find a rabbit savvy vet to determine the cause and correct treatment for this.

Some things that can cause the nasal discharge are dental problems or bacterial infections. It's the bacterial infections you really want to nip quickly. You don't want to take the chance that the infections spreads throughout the body. Particularly if it's pasteurella. Be especially concerned if the discharge is white. You'll most definitely want to see a rabbit savvy vet.

Here's a good page on sneezing/discharge:
(broken link removed)

and another one on the types of cultures that can be done if it looks like a bacterial infection:
(broken link removed)

naturestee

Cavy Slave
Yes, you'll definitely need to take the bun to a rabbit-savvy vet. The available water-soluble antibiotics are weak and have been overused so much that resistant strains of bacteria are very common. That means that the antibiotic simply won't work on them any more.

You could ask your vet who he talks to when he needs advice about rabbits, and go to that vet. Or call shelters and rabbit rescues in your area and see who they recommend.

porkchopsmom

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the info. I have been looking for a vet in the central Il area and I can't find one that specializes in much more than dogs and cats. My vet said she will try a new antibiotic on him. He is still eating and drinking normally.

Solebomber

Cavy Slave
Baytril is the most common Vet prescribed antibiotic for rabbits. Typically given orally which can cause dirarhea due to killing off of the good gut bacteria. generally recommend to also feed yogurt or probiotic to maintain proper balance of the digestive system.
I hope it works out for you.

cheshire

Cavy Slave
I live in central Illinois.
Here's some vets for you to try. However, none of these are close to you. I'm sorry I don't know any by experience or recommendation down where you live.

Here's my regular vet - LeRoy vet clinic 309-962-4036. They're very reasonably priced, but it's a single vet clinic and VERY busy. You may have a wait to even get in.

Here's a place that specializes in exotics in Champaign. I've been to this clinic for more specialized rabbit work. All Creatures Animal Hospital They are a multi-doctor facility and have two vets experienced with rabbits.

The rest of these, I've not used but have heard about through reputation.
In Monticello, [FONT=arial, Arial, Helvetica]Animal Hospital of Monticello [/FONT][FONT=arial, Arial, Helvetica]217-762-2144
In Normal, Prairie Oak 309-454-8606
[/FONT]
If you'd be willing to travel to Champaign, I'd recommend the clinic in Champaign due to the fact that they specialize in exotics. The other thing you could try is to call them up and ask them in there is any clinic down in your area that they could recommend.

cheshire

Cavy Slave
Ooops, big typo in that LeRoy phone number. Its 962-7421.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.