Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Upper Level Size/Width

thalestral

Cavy Slave
Is a one grid wide loft fun enough for piggies to enjoy?

I have 5 girlie pigs and currently the pen is a 2x6 on the bottom with Purdie living above them in a 2x2.5 (odd size to allow safer ramp). Intros are coming up this weekend though so they'll all be in together. Here is a pic of the bottom level and my wonderous paintbrush skills showing you where the upper level is:

cage2x6_2x3.jpg

But it's a devil to clean and I reckon it will be worth the extra jiggery pokery to get the bottom larger and have the upper deck along the back of the main cage thus making it easier to clean. Like this:

cage2x7_1x5.jpg

Which makes it a 2x7 on the bottom (might be a bit over if that end grid comes in too) and a 1x5 on the top. But easier to clean. But just as important is whether it will be fun for the piggers or not.

What do you all think? Opinions are much appreciated, and don't be hating on my mad paint skillz :silly:

jilovecavies

Cavy Slave
I think that'd be a great idea. I mean, they'd have more room, which is a definite plus! As long as Purdie has room to run. :)

And I am, indeed, so jealous of your mad paint skillZ. I shall hide in shame.

CavyHubby

Cavy Slave
Is a one grid wide loft fun enough for piggies to enjoy?

I have 5 girlie pigs and currently the pen is a 2x6 on the bottom with Purdie living above them in a 2x2.5 (odd size to allow safer ramp). Intros are coming up this weekend though so they'll all be in together. Here is a pic of the bottom level and my wonderous paintbrush skills showing you where the upper level is:

cage2x6_2x3.jpg

But it's a devil to clean and I reckon it will be worth the extra jiggery pokery to get the bottom larger and have the upper deck along the back of the main cage thus making it easier to clean. Like this:

cage2x7_1x5.jpg

Which makes it a 2x7 on the bottom (might be a bit over if that end grid comes in too) and a 1x5 on the top. But easier to clean. But just as important is whether it will be fun for the piggers or not.

What do you all think? Opinions are much appreciated, and don't be hating on my mad paint skillz :silly:

I like the first one. Just be sure to leave a minimum of 4 sqaures(the 1 1/2"x1 1/2" ones) behind for cleaning purposes. I left 5 squares behind my upper level and have no reach troubles. Is the green line denoting the placement of dirty laundry?(just kidding)

I really love the cage layout...very lucky piggies!
Safe Journies
Samuel

thalestral

Cavy Slave
Hehe, that's the piggie mat that gets put down over the flap when the door is open! No laundry in my photos xD

The first one is as we have it now, I think it's more of the bend that makes it hard to clean but unfortunately our flat is too small to turn it any other way.

I just worry that for the second version it wouldn't be as fun without a 2 grid width bit somewhere on it.

The two diagonal parallel lines are supposed to be the ramp by the way, it's not too clear I know! But all the piggies would be together in the whole thing :)

Thanks for the input!

PiggyPaws

Cavy Slave
Just an idea, but if you wanted to have a 2 grid width somewhere how about putting it in the middle? Like this:
untitled.jpg

I think it would be easier to clean because you could reach it from both sides.

jabberwock

Cavy Slave
I changed my upper deck from an L shape to a 1x4 because it was hard to clean - it was particularly difficult to reach when the cage was on the floor. The long thin loft works well for us - clearly it isn't a running around space but it does mean that the main area (4x2 in our case) is less cluttered with food bowls and beds/hideys so the overall running around space is increased.

JarBax

Cavy Slave
I thought your pictures and explanations were really clear! :D

When I just had the two piggies, I had a 1 x 4, which was fine. I had a hay rack and litter tray at the end of the 1 x 4, a bent grid bunk in the middle, and a hammock just above the ramp - which was great - though they both liked it best under the hammock.

I still have the 1 x 4, but this time have an extention of a 2 x 3 on the end. With 5 pigs, I just wonder if maybe somebody might get 'cornered' at the end - and there is no escape route? That is why I changed my layout anyway. You could get around this by making another ramp at the other end - so that Rosie in particular can do her zoomies up over and down again!

I did at first have two ramps to the upper level of mine - but found that cleaning under and behind the second one was nightmarish - it came in parallel to the upper level - and they loved it behind there. Couldn't catch them either!

I really hope the intros go well - I will be thinking of you, and have my fingers crossed that Purdie is thrilled to have new friends!

thalestral

Cavy Slave
Thanks everyone :)

That's good advice about the ramps JarBax, I think if we go for the 1x5 we'll put a ramp on either end to help out with that which would make it great for zoomies.

We're going to play about with some grids tonight I think as it's always easier if you can see what it will really look like. I'm excited about extending the bottom a bit as it's an excuse to look into redoing the whole cage - we used zip ties alone rather than the connectors and I'd like to put the connectors in if possible to help stabilise an upper level.

jilovecavies

Cavy Slave
Only guinea pig owners could truly appreciate the lengths we go to in planning and constructing their mansions. lol

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.