Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Other C&C for Chick Brooder

katiecavyNC

Cavy Slave
Just another use for Cubes.... We have started our own backyard flock for the eggs & as pets. I used a 30X36" pan I got at the tractor supply for a base. The pans are plastic and sold for the bottom of rabbit cages.

I could have used Coroplast, but it was easier and cheaper to get the pan for $16, rather than coroplast around here at $30+ per sheet.

Used grids and cable ties to make the four sides of the pen. Once we got the chicks, had to double up the grids as they were so small they could pop right through.

The chicks are 2 wks old now and doing great in their cube pen. I did have to build a simple wood frame with wire on it to put over the top as they are now big enough to start stretching out their wings.

A pic:

1wkchicks.jpg

Just another good use for left over grids!

TX_2_Pigs

Cavy Slave
We have chickens too. We had one brood hatch Easter weekend, another Father's day weekend and we just had 2 more chicks hatch last week. We started out with 17 hens and 2 roosters.

Our first batch was 2 hens with 26 chicks. The second was 3 hens with 17 chicks. We had to hand raise the last one to hatch because she got kicked out of the nest and was attacked by the other birds in the pen. We were able to put her with one of the mother hens after about 2 weeks.

We only keep the chickens penned at night or when they are nesting otherwise they free range. Which leads, unfortunately, to losing hens and chicks to the hawk.

But we don't use grids, we were given a small hutch that we put the hen in when she starts nesting. She stays there until all the eggs have hatched then we start letting her and the chicks out to free range.

These are the Easter chicks:

FoolOnTheHill

Cavy Slave
That's a very good idea! I can't WAIT until we get our chickens :heart:

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.