PDA

View Full Version : ??? about mattress pads

pignewton
08-16-07, 07:22 pm
I want to switch from towels under my fleece to mattress pads. I have read some of the previous threads and I know what type to get. My question is this - how many layers do I need minimum? What is the advantage of more layers (I see that some people use up to 8 layers!).

pigsforlife
08-16-07, 07:33 pm
Good question, I am currently looking into enlarging my cage to 2 levels, the top level is going to be fleece, the bottom floor (kitchen) is going to be aspen. At the moment I am just looking at all possibilites, but at the same time drawing up a plan, with details on how much it is going to cost. Does anyone know how much fleece and the mattress pads costs? I will have to come back and see what answers you get.

heatherbunnie
08-16-07, 08:12 pm
I think that the benefit of having more layers of mattress pads is that you'll have to wash them less. If you look at garage sales and stuff, I've seen mattress pads there for cheap! Fleece too, or go to Joann's or a similar store.

ginniemama
08-16-07, 09:22 pm
I went out today and got Fleece blankets at old time pottery for 3.99 each. I have gotten fleece from Joann's and with a coupon for 1 yard was 12.00 or so? I use towels so I am not sure on the mattress pads but wal mart might be a good place to go?

pignewton
08-16-07, 10:00 pm
Walmart has fleece for $3.99 yard. I got some on clearance at Joann's for $2.99 a yard a month or so ago. Have not started shopping for the mattress pad yet but think that Walmart would be the cheapest.

Ly&Pigs
08-16-07, 10:12 pm
I've only ever used one layer of mattress pad under the fleece. I'm sure that more layers means more cushioning for the pigs and probably would be able to not have to change the bedding as frequently. I really don't understand why some would use more than 2 layers of the mattress pads myself.

pignewton
08-17-07, 12:06 am
Wonderful. I think I can get two sets out of a queen size pad. I am trying to make cleaning the cage as easy as possible so I want to toss out the towels. I dont have enough of them for a complete spare set so I have to wash them before I can put the pigs back in the cage. This is sometimes a problem on cage cleaning days because I have to stick around the house to keep an eye on them while they are on the floor.

envisionary333
08-17-07, 01:54 am
I've been using 8 layers (4 mattress pads folded over) because I'm out of town for three weeks and I didn't want my pet sitter to have to clean the cage. If it works out, I will continue to use 8 layers so I don't have to clean my huge cage all the time when I'm in full-time college. Considering the size of my cage and the number of guinea pigs I have, I think this is a sensible solution. For people who don't have 11 guinea pigs in a 79 square foot cage, I'm sure you don't need to use quite so many mattress pads! One folded over to make two layers would be perfectly fine. Anyway, I just thought I'd explain why I have so many layers. I know it seems excessive to some of you, but it is a huge help for me. Emptying the whole cage to wash the bedding takes hours, so the less often I have to do it, the better!

pignewton
08-17-07, 08:19 pm
Ahh, now it all makes sense. I knew that I had read some place on here about 8 layers.

ginniemama
08-17-07, 08:24 pm
okay I have a question? i currently am using towels sewed onto the fleece and have 2 sets so when I change one set I have another set go into the age so I do not have to wait for the washing. What is the benefit for the mattress pads and how do you arrange it in the cage? maybe I will change to that because it seems alot of you like the pads versus the towels?

envisionary333
08-17-07, 08:42 pm
One of the benefits of the mattress pads is that they maintain their shape, so you don't need to spend so much time arranging them in the cage. They don't bunch up, and there's no need to sew them to the fleece. Also, they are more absorbent, make a fluffier and more comfortable cage floor, and aren't as heavy when wet. You can also cut them to the size you need and they won't fray. Towels or terrycloth will unravel in the wash once cut. I use queen size mattress pads folded over to make two layers, and cut to fit the exact size of the cage.

camende
08-23-07, 03:49 pm
I have bought a bunch of fleece and so far have washed it once. I know I need to wash it 3-4 more times. I also bought some cheap mattress pads at Walmart and Target. We are going to move the entire setup into another room AND build 2 more 2x5 sections so we will end up with three 2x5 sections that meet in the middle. I think it will probably be a "T" shape when we get done. We will be adding 3 more girls that I am adopting from Critter Corral. They are already bonded so we probably will just keep them in their section. Hopefully, we can finish the cage this weekend and I can go pick my girls up! I'll have 7. I don't have any more carefresh so I am hoping to get the fleece up and going by the time I need to change the cages!