PDA

View Full Version : Heat relief

John4216
08-10-07, 10:54 pm
In this record heat wave we had the worse thing possible happen, the power went out for awhile and of course with it went the AC and my ability to freeze bottles to help them. So I rushed out to the store(walmart) to see what I could find that might be helpful now and in the future. I found this item called a personal air conditioner/cool box. It runs off numerous things, D batteries, internal chargeable batteries, car lighter, or wall plug. It has a tray you fill with ice cubes and the fan blows the air over the ice to help cool and when the ice melts you can also have it spray a mist.

I did not want to risk a mist spray anywhere near the pigs cage just in case. So we have gel packs that are used for muscles that my daughters freezes (she is a cross country runner) and put them in the tray and rotated them as they melted.

While it did not cool the entire room off it did provide some relief to the area where they were at. Just a thought for anyone interested.

It is called "The cool box, personal air conditioner". It was $40.00

envisionary333
08-10-07, 11:06 pm
Thanks for the tip! I have heard of air conditioning systems failing and causing piggies to die from overheating before, so I think we should all be prepared to protect our pets in those circumstances as well. I have battery-powered fans that attach to the cage, but the personal air conditioning systems sound much more effective. I think I'll look into getting one myself, it gets mighty hot in New York in the summer!

John4216
08-10-07, 11:23 pm
I also have one of these but it does not work as well as the cool box:

ThinkGeek :: Desktop Personal Air Conditioner (http://www.thinkgeek.com/homeoffice/gear/60ad/?cpg=froogle)

And I am thinking about getting this as well although it would not work if the power went out but I think I could plug it into a backup generator, but it looks nice for those that don't have AC in their piggie space:

Sharper Image : ICEflow Personal Air Conditioner - Spot Cooling Fan (http://www.sharperimage.com/us/en/catalog/product/sku__SI357WHT/source__10716/cm_ven__LINKSHR/cm_cat__feed/cm_ite__SI357WHT/siteid__jXot6eVeYJg-Kq9gCTykT67D88KZu03J4A)

jilovecavies
08-12-07, 11:10 am
I'm scared that the AC will go out one day when we're not home and when we get home...it will be too late. Any ideas to prevent it? Maybe set up a fan every day before we leave the house?

PrincessAngel
08-12-07, 11:50 am
I'm scared that the AC will go out one day when we're not home and when we get home...it will be too late. Any ideas to prevent it? Maybe set up a fan every day before we leave the house?
Well if you have a few hundred dollars you can always buy a back up generater that automatically kicks on when the power goes out. I believe my dad said that it would cost about a thousand dollars to get a good on. But a fan would work.Our power went out twice last year once in summer and we just put the pigs in the basement. And once during the winter and we took the pigs to my grandmas house to keep them warm.

John4216
08-13-07, 12:48 pm

Well it depends on how much your able and willing to spend. You can buy backup portable generators (gas or battery powered) of different sizes. Or you can buy something like the coolbox and hook it up to a on/off temperature switch and have it come on if it gets to hot. Hook the switch to a heater for the winter as well.

Those are just a few ideas. Like I said it just depends on what your able to spend.