Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

A mess in the food dish?

ortal

Cavy Slave
I recently brought 2 cavys home, and they are wonderful. My question is, will they grow out of pooing in their food dish, or is it just something that guinea pigs do? I keep having to throw out what is there, because the girls are picky and won't eat when the food is soiled. I took the fish out of the corner, and that helped, I was wondering if there is another step I should take.

Also, on another note, maybe I should buy 2 dishes? One seems to push the other out of the way...

Thanks for the advice.

piggiesinpa

Cavy Slave
I would get another food dish for sure. Sometimes they 'mark' their territory in their food so the others won't eat it. Mine poo in the bowls because the bowl is at level with their butts when they turn around. I'm not sure they know what they are doing, but I have this issue. I only keep about 1/4 of a cup of pellets in their bowl at once so when I replace it when it gets pooed on, I'm not loosing much.

ortal

Cavy Slave
I would get another food dish for sure. Sometimes they 'mark' their territory in their food so the others won't eat it. Mine poo in the bowls because the bowl is at level with their butts when they turn around. I'm not sure they know what they are doing, but I have this issue. I only keep about 1/4 of a cup of pellets in their bowl at once so when I replace it when it gets pooed on, I'm not loosing much.

That’s what I have been doing, not putting much in so it’s less to waste. I'll get another bowl or maybe one of the hanging ones I have seen in the stores. 'Puppy' is deff more aggressive then "Spider Pig" (ha-ha, my boyfriend named one, my 3 year old the other).

piggiesinpa

Cavy Slave
How old is Puppy?

When you get the other dish, put it on the other side of the cage. Do you have 2 water bottles and two hide houses for them as well?

ortal

Cavy Slave
How old is Puppy?

When you get the other dish, put it on the other side of the cage. Do you have 2 water bottles and two hide houses for them as well?

no i do not, they do well in the hide-house together. I bought them together from the same pen, they are bough a couple of months old I believe, exactly the same size. They seem to be fine with the hide-house and water bottle, I can see both of them taking sips. The cage is rather large, and rather tall. I cant afford anything larger as of yet.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Either two dishes or a nice heavy double sided dish. It's common and normal for pigs to poo in their food dish.

I think Puppy is a cute name for a piggy. Did your boyfriend or 3 year old name him?

ortal

Cavy Slave
My 3 year old did. After I wanted to name them Puppy and Kitty, but the pigs were actually a gift to him, so she was his to name. "Spider Pig" is a character from the Simpsons Movie.

MissCin

Cavy Slave
My girls do the same thing. I have four dishes, two for veggies and two for pellets. Angie, the smallest one, likes to get in the bowl when she eats so she poops and pees in there. I'm guessing it's normal..?

pigsforlife

Cavy Slave
I use a couple of clip on containers which clip on to the side of the cage. I got them from my cavvy savvy vet and it means that they are not able to soil in the container. They cost about $5 but are well worth the money. Note: Australian Dollars

TX_2_Pigs

Cavy Slave
The way I have my food dish you wouldn't think I would still find poos in it, but I do. I had to replace my food dish when I moved because the original one broke. But the new dish I got ended up being too deep and they had a real hard time getting to the food. But I had these little dishes that I originally was putting their veggies in and it fits perfectly on top of the food dish and holds exactly one scoop (which is 1/4 cup). I think they get poos on their front feet and when they stand up on the edge of the dish, the poos come off.

I have a video of Chopper eating out of the food bowl, but I seem to be having trouble uploading it to photobucket. It says it uploads but then I can't find it. Oh well, here is picture of how it is set up.

envisionary333

Cavy Slave
I have a rat named Puppy, I think it's an adorable name! I like naming pets that way- my other rat is named Panda, and one of my piggies is named Turtle.

As for the food bowls, how big are they? I used two large bowls for my piggies for a while and they would climb in there to eat and poop in them at the same time. (Slobs!) Now I have two smaller bowls that are a little taller and impossible to climb inside of. They need to be refilled once a day because the piggies eat all the pellets really quickly, but they stay much cleaner. I think using bowls that clip onto the cage walls is a great idea as well, and if you place them so they are just in reach but are too high to climb inside they will probably stay much cleaner. I might try that myself.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.